21 August, 2008

That's a life to hang your hat on

Since the episode with my son and the bullying child (who has been suspended), I've been thinking a lot about what it is in my children that brings me pride and what it is about us all that brings God pride or that defines a well lived life. There is a song we have dedicated to Christopher and the words really have me thinking..

"And if all you ever really do is the best you can
Well, you did it man

That's something to be proud of
That's a life you can hang your hat on
That's a chin held high as the tears fall down
A gut sucked in, a chest stuck out
Like a small town flag a-flyin'
Or a newborn baby cryin'
In the arms of the woman that you love
That's something to be proud of"

Wealth, power, prestige those aren't the things to be proud of. Yes, if you work hard and acquire wealth, give generously, then that is good, but it's not the wealth that brings pride it's the working hard. It's doing the best you can in whatever that is and it's finding within yourself the strength to do it.

This has been rolling around my mind for several days and then I just read a sermon on the upcoming week's gospel. Jesus tells Peter that upon him he will build his church. Jan Richardson says the following, "Jesus names Peter the rock. In doing so, Jesus signifies that he both recognizes what is within Peter and is also calling forth what has yet to take form in him."

What is in us that God is calling forth? I believe we see glimpses of it--Christopher showed it Monday--but God sees so much more.

No comments: