25 February, 2009

Ash Wednesday and Excess

For the past several days I have been thinking a good bit about what to give up for Lent this year. There are always the standards--sweets, alcohol, snacking between meals just to name a few. The problem is due to life right now, I've given up a good bit of that. The other problem is that I know deep down there are many times it's more of a diet time than a true sacrifice. My mind has also turned to what to add as a discipline instead. There are many I could do--longer devotion time in the morning, night prayer every night, increasing our giving at church and so on. All this thinking has led me to consider the purpose of Lent and how to remember that every day and not just when I want a cookie or a glass of wine.

Lent is a time in the desert. A time to reflect and a time to prepare for Easter morning and the glorious gift that God has given us in the resurrection. How might I best use this time to draw closer to God so that Easter morning is more meaningful; so that Easter morning is more this year than it has ever been before? A new beginning for myself and for the world. This year I'm giving up excess. I started to take stock in all the excess in my life--starbucks grande latte's instead of a tall drip coffee, two glasses of wine at dinner instead of just one, seconds on dinner just because it's delicious and not because I am still hungry, checking/playing on facebook several times a day instead of just once--these are just a few. Excess seeps into my life all the time without me even being aware of it. This Lent I want to be more aware--more aware each day of the gifts God has given me--the funds to buy that extra large coffee, a laptop and computer access all the time, plenty of food. And in being aware, I will also be aware of the excess and that will not just be my sacrifice for it really isn't a sacrifice, but rather a time to remember how blessed I am and to give thanks. A time to be more aware; a time to remember.

1 comment:

christy said...

Amen, sister.....amen....