08 June, 2011

A Letter to Gangan


Dear Gangan,
Cousins Weekend ended yesterday--our first since you've been gone. We had blueberries but not blueberry muffins; we should next time. We took pictures but not on the hot tub steps; I don't know if I'll ever be able to do that again. We had fun; we laughed; we played; and we missed you. Sarah Katherine told me last night she kept feeling a void. Gangan, I feel that void a lot. Every time I want to share something with you, I feel that void. But as I've been sitting here missing you this morning, wanting to talk to you, wanting you to be in our pictures, I realize that you tried so very hard to make sure we wouldn't feel that void. You insisted on Cousins' Weekend; you built cousins weekend, and although we miss you, although we want you there, you made sure we had each other. You taught us that it matters to take time for each other; it matters to make the time to be with family--to be with the ones you can be yourself around. Shared memories--happy and sad but shared together--a shared history.

I've been so sad thinking of all the things I didn't learn from you. I don't know how to make watermelon pickles, and I don't know how to knit a ski sweater. But I know I did learn the most important thing from you--I learned how to love my family warts and all. I learned how to love them with an unconditional love and I learned that they love me with that same love. I learned family matters, family will always matter. Thank you Gangan. I love you.

4 comments:

Chris Doyle said...

Beautiful post!

tara said...

big hug!

Motherly Makings said...

That is beautiful ad she is looking down from heaven with a smile.

Anonymous said...

I love this! You made me tear up because what you said is so true! We can fill the void with the love and friendship with each other. Hank said he read this at work and said he had to walk away. He told me this evening that he was so glad to know Gan-gan and be a part of this family. Aim already looking forward to next year's cousin weekend. Luv ya, Beth