24 July, 2013

The Holy Ordinary

I'm a worrier a perfectionist--you can read neurotic if you'd like.  No matter how many times Chris repeated, "It's kindergarten." I spent hours agonizing over where and when to send the children to kindergarten.  I spent hours worrying that they were adjusting to moves and changes and new babies and well just about everything..I can't tell you the number of times we'd have a difficult morning and I'd go to their schools in tears, get them out of class and apologize because I didn't want them to have heard an ugly tone from me as the last words before they left.  (And usually they didn't even remember, but hey back to the neurotic).  And sometime I'll confess the extra large diaper bag story and the hammer in the glove compartment.  Suffice it to say I worried and stressed and planned and tried to control so that the children would grow up healthy and happy with wonderful memories of amazing days (and so there was less to tell their therapists later).  I tried to make every holiday, every birthday, every occasion a huge memory, a new theme smocked outfit for every occasion or holiday (including Groundhog's Day--back to the neurotic)--I loved doing it, and I'm glad I did, but it truly is the little things, the holy in the everyday ordinariness, the little moments, the relationships, the love--something I learned this weekend from SK.  She had to write a response to the question, "Where are you from?"  Below find her answer.

Sarah Katherine Doyle

I am from Louisville, from Georgia, Pittsburgh, Virginia, England.

I am from Chris and Katherine a marketing director for a vodka brand a female priest

I am from homemade bread and Big Green Egg grilling, rom banana bread, peanut butter fudge, and fish tacos.

I am from four kids and two dogs, from “our door is always open—anyone is welcome.”

I am from yes ma’ams and no sirs

I am from the Avett Brothers and Mumford and Sons, from John Prine, Bob Dylan and Todd Snyder.

I am from “dream big,” “work hard,” and “always expand your horizons.”

I am from questionable, inappropriate dinner conversations and no mental filters.

I am from Grey’s Anatomy and The Office; from A Christmas Story, The Sandlot, and Caddy Shack.

I am from Episcopalians—half the Catholic, twice the fun.

I am from Church Camp; from roasting marshmallows, walking the labyrinth, and capture the flag.

I am from “get your elbows off the table,” and “because I said so.”
I am from late nights surrounding my dad and his guitar, and from ‘Twas the Night before Christmas’ every Christmas Eve.

I am from craziness.

I am from accident-proneness and dysfunction; from occasional bickering and constant laughter.


I am from go anywhere, do anything, and be anyone, but home is always here.

May we always remember that it is the little things that make a difference in the lives of our families and everyone we meet.  


No comments: