26 January, 2015

And the Word Became Flesh

Words are something I think about a lot--the power of words.  I actually really love words which anyone who has ever been around me could easily tell from the  flow of words constantly emerging from my mouth.  In college I took a souther literature class.  Some of the guys were complaining that Faulkner was too hard to follow, too hard to understand.  I was shocked and said, "Really?  I totally can follow him."  to which they all responded, "Of course you do!"  Chris says it takes me over 100 words and 45 minutes to say goodbye.  I said I love words!

I also know that sometimes words can be scary.  Something happens to someone and we want to say something but what?  We don't want to say the wrong thing and so we fumble around with our words or say nothing at all.  Yesterday in his sermon,  Father Tim Mitchell talked about how we as fishers of men can choose to be people of edification or of demolition.  He wasn't specifically referring to the words we use but rather to our whole being as we interact with others--words are certainly a part of that; I'd say a huge part. Even our fumbled words can be edifying.

One thing I have learned as the parent of four teenagers is that sometimes words are over used.  As they try to convince Chris and I of things they go on and on and on.  I suspect they think the same about me as I "explain" things to them.  I have learned that sometimes even with words less is  more (which is very hard for this Faulkner loving girl!).  My family probably disagrees that I have learned it and would say instead that I am still in the process...early in the process..

Over the past weeks I have received many notes, emails, and messages of love and support.  I have treasured them all; they have been words of edification; they have been words of hope.  They have reminded me of the importance of saying something even when you don't know what to say.  They have reminded me that love can and does come through words. Last week I received a note that touched the very depth of my being--a note of four words--four beautiful, edifying, holy words.
Through this note I learned that it's not always the number of words or the elegance of words that matter most.  And through this note I was reminded  of what I powerfully believe, "the Word became flesh and dwelt among us." (John 1:14)  The Word became flesh and this note reminded me that the love of God comes to us through the flesh of others, through the words of others.  Words can be, words are powerful; "Now to him who by the power working within us is able to accomplish abundantly far more than all we can ask or imagine." (Ephesians 3:20)  Even the simplest of words.....


No comments: