25 March, 2015

"I Go to UVA"--so what?

I have been refusing to write this post for several days.  But yesterday was the commemoration of Saint Oscar Romero and the Martyrs of El Salvador.  In Holy Men, Holy Women I read, "he preached a sermon calling on soldiers to disobey orders that violated human rights." (p. 286).  It was like a sign--so here goes...this isn't a sermon, but it's the thoughts swirling in my head, the thoughts I'm trying to make make sense.

It had already been a long day and not the best week of my life when I opened a text from SK, "Did you hear about the kid who got arrested here last night?"  I held my breath as I texted back, "No--what"  I really didn't want there to be another horrific story about the alleged behavior of a UVA student; I really didn't want SK to have to deal with another fear about going to UVA, about telling people she went to UVA--little did I know this was much worse... She sent me a link to the article (please be advised, this is graphic) Cavalier Daily--Martese Johnson.  Not wanting to jump to conclusions, I watched and rewatched the video.  I was sick to my stomach--I didn't know how to respond.  And if I'm totally honest I kind of wanted there to have been some sort of altercation before someone started shooting the video--but deep in my heart I knew there probably wasn't.  And all evidence seems to say there wasn't Student Not Belligerent.  But I get ahead of myself...

SK told me that she was going to the protest in Clarke Library that night.  I asked her to keep me updated.  I kept getting texts--it's gotten to big we're moving to X, and then the next, it's still too big we're moving to X.  Ultimately the community gathered in the amphitheatre and I didn't hear from her again until the next morning.  She told me it was emotional and amazing and that she then marched to the corner and beyond.  I was very proud of her and her friends.  (She has amazing friends--I love you Cammy, Fiona, Hannah, and Kathleen and am so happy you are part of the Doyle family!  You may not be ;)) But what I was really proud of was how she thought through not only the specific event but the messages we inadvertently send to others when we don't remember our places of privilege. How she thought through how previous behaviors may have played a role in this tragedy. I'll let her texts speak for themselves.





As I read her text and then rewatched for the upteenth time the video, I saw Martese Johnson himself try to use privilege.  "I go to UVA" he shouted over and over.  Please hear me loud and clear, I IN NO WAY THINK MARTESE SHOUTING THAT WAS INAPPROPRIATE.  (was that loud enough?) If I had been lying on the ground being beaten I would have used any and all connections I thought might help me too.  But I do think we have to recognize that he thought it would help him---it didn't. The anger in me is that he even had to try to use that; no person UVA student or a homeless person should be treated in any way other than with dignity and respect.  I wish the answer to the statement, "I go to UVA" was so what?  Regardless of where you go to school or don't go to school, you as a child of God deserve to be treated with dignity and respect.  Is force sometimes necessary to protect society--probably, but not in this case.  I believe even in those cases dignity and respect needs to be shown.  If I am to live the faith I profess, then I must act in this way.  The Baptismal Covenant in the BCP says,

"Will you seek and serve Christ in all persons, loving your neighbor as yourself?" and "Will you strive for justice and peace among all people, and respect the dignity of every human being?" (BCP 304-305)

Each and every time I respond, "I will with God's help." I reaffirm my belief and I believe my statement of belief means absolutely nothing without practice.  SK modeled for me what it means to live that belief each time she gathered in support of Martese Johnson.  Practicing this means considering all the things we do; all the places of privilege we each have AND how we elevate others.

Last week Caroline and 9 classmates got to wear special occasion dress, miss school and go down to see and hear Prince Charles and Dutchess Camilla.  I admit it; I got caught up in the excitement. When she texted me she got to shake Camilla's hand and talk to her, I promptly facebooked it where I got 66 likes and 8 comments.  It was exciting, but I just wonder what it would say if 10 Collegiate students were chosen to wear special occasion dress, miss school and go down and shake the hands of the homeless?  What would it say if 10 Collegiate students went down and spent the day talking to and LISTENING to the homeless? And then what if all the parents posted that all over facebook and instagram?  I wonder how many likes and comments that would get?  I just wonder what it would say...I for one think it would say a lot.


No comments: