06 August, 2015

Belonging--What Does that Mean?

This week at Trinity Owensboro we are having a Welcoming Rite--between 10 and 15 people will be welcomed into the congregation as new members.  While I think this is a very good thing, and while I also think Trinity is an extremely welcoming church, it's also got me thinking.  (Darn walks on the beach!!?!?!?)  It's got me wondering how are welcoming and belonging connected?  How does someone go from being welcomed into the church to belonging, not new member belonging, but 100% belonging?  How does anyone anywhere know they belong? And I guess then I wonder, what does it mean to belong?  

On page 298 of the Book of Common Prayer in the rubrics (fancy name for rules) concerning the service, it reads, "Holy Baptism is full initiation by water and the Holy Sprit into Christ's body the church."  We talk a lot about that--what does it mean to be a full member and how does that translate in the way we treat our children and youth?  Debating that is for another blog, but it's worth beginning to think about.

During the service of Holy Baptism we as a congregation also make some promises about helping those being baptized to grow in the faith and we are asked, "Will you who witness these vows do all in your power to support these persons in their life in Christ?" (BCP, 303)  One thing I've noticed is there is no time frame given so I can only assume (and I think I'm right) that the promise is infinite which means that we are all--all baptized people are to continue supporting one another in our lives of faith.  I also notice it doesn't say, "Support each other only when you are all in church or actively participating in a church activity."  Their life in Christ--our life in Christ is everywhere and in everything--that I believe with every fiber of my body.

And I keep going back to belonging--how does that translate?  If we've got the "newcomers" separated from the "cradle Episcopalians" and the children separated from the adults--who belongs? (maybe not separated--maybe just labeled--but how does that feel?) I think sometimes we unwittingly set up barriers that say, "yes we welcome you but until you've met these criteria a) age b) been a member this long" we will say you belong but you probably won't feel it.

Last week I preached about God always being present just waiting for us to reach out and be in relationship.  We belong to God; we belong in relationship. I believe that is true; I'm not so sure I believe we as humans extend that same community and grace to one another.  I wonder how many people really feel they belong...and so I continue to struggle with what does it mean?  How do you know you belong?

So as I'm thinking all these thoughts I went for a walk on the beach very early.  I was listening to my Barbara Brown Taylor book and gazing at the sunrise.  Apparently I'm not the only person with a routine because I kept passing people I recognized--people who I see each and every time I am here.

As I was walking a couple flagged me down.  They had their three dogs running around them. "Hey," the woman said, "Where are your dogs?  I bet that black one has gotten bigger since April."  "Yes," I responded, "She has."  And then I went on to explain that Winnie had been hit by a car and she wasn't cleared yet to be able to run, so we left her home with our son.  "All your children aren't here?" the man asked.  "No," I said, "He's started sports and couldn't miss."  "Yes," he continued, "That's what happens as they grow up.  Yours have certainly started reaching that point."  "Well," said the woman, "It's good to see you anyway.  Hopefully next time you'll have the dogs.  Have a good walk." and we parted ways.

I have no idea their name; I know they live here permanently; I know they remember who I am; I know they care about my dogs and my family; I know I belong.  I belong to the community of early morning beach walkers--I belong.

Just to be clear--I think a welcoming rite is wonderful; I think gathering people together is wonderful; I think belonging is wonderful--belonging wherever that may be.

No comments: