13 April, 2017

Holiday Meals with Extended Family

The family holiday meal....it's coming again this Sunday. Families
all across the world will gather to celebrate Easter (and families come in all different forms). It will be a wonderful day of celebration, but we all know that along with families gathering for celebration sometimes comes a little (or possibly a lot) of family drama...

Perhaps some of you are wondering what family drama I'm talking about? The drama of past hurts, unspoken pain, and chips on shoulders that weigh us down. Then there's the  drama of the differences of opinions--political, social, religious and parenting styles. Throw in rival sports teams, and you've got a full blown recipe for disaster. So what do we do? We play nice (or try to play nice). We warn our spouses, significant others and children to avoid certain topics; we pledge to not take the bait if someone goads us; we promise to enjoy ourselves and one another no matter what. We are determined to have the most wonderful time ever. I suspect there will be a few bloody tongues
Sunday evening....

Aside--some of us get lots of practice around our routine family dinner table--

As I was thinking about this this morning I remembered a question one of my beloved offspring asked me referring to family gatherings. "Why do you never speak up when someone says something you typically think is offensive or belittles other people?" Fortunately it was dark so said offspring couldn't see the red shame that crawled up my face, and I knew I had three choices. One, I could bemoan the fact I had so many offspring that ask so many questions; two I could try to defend myself explaining sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut (and that's true--sometimes); or three I could change the subject. Well, I could no longer do anything about the number of offspring I have and I hear it's illegal to permanently sew their mouths shut; I thought about defending myself, but my excuses sounded hollow even to me; so, I did the very mature good parent thing, opted for the third option and changed the subject.

All of this was going through my mind as I was working on my sermon for tonight--Maundy Thursday, the commemoration of the Last Supper. Jesus gathered with his closest friends, friends he has traveled with for 3 years, friends that have become family. So basically a family dinner. And what did he do?

He named it! He told the 12 gathered that one would betray him and the others would abandon him. But what he didn't then do was belittle them; he didn't ostracize them; he didn't storm away from the table; and he didn't let them do it either. They tried (Luke 22:24), but he cut them off stopping the dispute and declaring himself the servant of all. He commanded them to love one another just as he has loved them--and continues to love them regardless of their failings, regardless of the fact they
will turn their backs on him, regardless of the fact they can't live up to what he most needs from them at this time. And then, then HE FED THEM AND HE WASHED THEIR FEET!! These people who would very shortly leave him to die alone (not to mention fall asleep when he needed them most to be with him...), he fed and bathed--lovingly and gently.

Perhaps that is what we are called to do--to name the pain, to name the differences, to name our beliefs, and then most importantly to keep loving.

No comments: