13 August, 2017

"If I Were a UVA Parent...."



"If I were a UVA parent..." words spoken by numerous people all over social media, in the news, in conversations over the last 48 hours. "If I were a UVA parent..." but you're not, and I am.

I am a UVA parent, and just to be completely transparent, I am a UVA parent of a white woman. Over the last 48 hours I have been seized by terror, anger, anxiety and my student is white. I cannot begin to imagine how intense the emotions of African American parents must be as they watched the assault on Charlottesville and the University of Virginia by white supremacists. I can only speak from my perspective.

What I do know is this. What occurred in Charlottesville was as John Pavlovitz said in his blog (Full blog)



















1 comment:

Amy B. said...

As the mother of a twelve year old and nine year old, I wonder how hard it will be to sit with my children's bold and courageous choices when they go off to college. And I know that, just like your amazing daughter, they will make bold and courageous choices. I already see this confidence and sense of justice in them. And this is what my husband (proud UVA grad!) and I have tried to cultivate and have wished for them since the day we were blessed with shepherding them from birth to adulthood.

Katherine, thank you for your brave words and actions. You have reminded me that, regardless of my own maternal fear, this is how we raise children to be kind and compassionate people who will go out into the world and do good.

It's pretty obvious where your daughter learned how to be a force for good in the world. You, too, are brave and kind.

From one mom to another, I'm sending my love and wishes for peace to you and your family.