10 November, 2017

Sometimes I'm Slightly Irreverent....

Yesterday during Eucharist as I read the Gospel I had some
thoughts. Truth is some might consider them slightly irreverent. 

I was reading the Gospel of Luke's parable about the lost sheep and the lost coin--you know the one about having 100 sheep but one gets lost and the woman who loses one of her 10 silver coins and literally turns her house upside down to find the one? (Luke 15:1-10) I was trying to put myself in the story--perhaps not the best idea when I'm leading the service.....

I read the words, "Which one of you, having a hundred sheep and losing one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness and go after the one that is lost until he finds it?" and I thought, "well me! These people must have thought Jesus was nuts--you don't risk losing it all just to find one!" I got distracted, but I kept reading, "Or what woman having ten silver coins,* if she loses one of them, does not light a lamp, sweep the house, and search carefully until she finds it? 9When she has found it, she calls together her friends and neighbours, saying, “Rejoice with me, for I have found the coin that I had lost.” 

Now that part of ripping a house apart to find something lost I totally get--I've been known to rip my house apart to look for a wool sweater I can't find--and it's in the middle of the summer (remember I do have a therapist). Anyway, but the she finds it and throws a party probably spending way more than just the one lost coin---don't these people understand fiscal responsibility?!?!?!

I might have even started my sermon yesterday by saying, "I wonder if the disciples were thinking to themselves 'well dummy of course we wouldn't leave the 99 and you're an idiot if you're trying to convince us to do otherwise.'" (Sometimes I forget I should filter....)

And now I can't stop thinking about it (read being challenged by both the Gospel and my irreverent thoughts....) The truth is it doesn't make sense to leave 99 and go search for 1--but the other truth is what does Jesus ever do that on the surface makes sense? You've got 99 who aren't running off doing who knows what--they obey, stick together, do what they're supposed to do....

Perhaps that's the point....and my discomfort......

It is easier, makes more sense for us to stay with those who do "the right thing", it's easier for us to stick with those who look like we do, think like we do, and act like we do. It's scary to leave our comfort, our security, the known. Truth be told, it's frustrating to have to go after the ones who won't tow the line--who don't obey--who are, well lost....and it's tempting for us to decide what constitutes being lost and to pity instead of love.

I keep thinking about that lost sheep. It reminds me of something SK said to me when she was 4 (she was a theologian even then....)

I had just picked her up from VBS. The others were 2 weeks, 18 months and almost 3--we had to go to the mall. (I have no idea why and I'm pretty sure it wasn't really necessary but I was postpartum and incredibly sleep deprived....) The babies were in the stroller; I sat Boss on top of the stroller and told SK to hold onto the handle with me. "Why?" she asked. "Because I don't want you to get lost," I told her, "It's crowded in here." (I would very much like credit for not saying, "Because there are crazy people who will steal you from me.") Anyway, she began to giggle, "Oh Mommy it's okay. If I get lost Jesus will just turn me into a sheep and come and find me."

Aren't we supposed to be the hands and feet of God here on earth? Aren't we supposed to step out of our comfort zone?  Aren't we supposed to love and be present for those who feel lost? Aren't we supposed to live in ways that others feel the presence of God? Aren't we supposed to help to bring the kingdom here and now?

I also keep thinking about the woman and the lost coin...

Yes we are supposed to be fiscally responsible, but do we sometimes hide behind what we profess to be "fiscal responsibility" and let others go without? Instead of using some of our money to bring joy to others even at the risk of being considered extravagant, do we convince ourselves it would be foolish; do we worry about what others might say? Do we decide who's worthy based on who is like us or are we called to celebrate everyone as part of God's creation--those like us and those who we struggle to understand--and yes sometimes it might cost us....

The first step is we have to step out--the church is not a building. The church is the people--the people like us and the people not like us. We have to be in the world where the lost are, the lonely are, and those who don't feel worthy are. We have to believe and help others believe that if they do feel lost, lonely and afraid they will be found.



No comments: