25 May, 2018

Be the Creepy Person

This morning I needed to go for a run. My heart was heavy and I needed to clear my head before getting ready for my friend's funeral. I wanted to be alone, but.....

Four years ago I began noticing a man walk his daughter to the bus stop every morning. At the time I assumed (rightly) that she was just starting kindergarten. Most mornings they walk hand in hand, but sometimes she skips ahead. In warm weather he is often barefoot (a man after my heart surely); in cold weather they are bundled up; in the rain he holds an umbrella over her head allowing himself to get wet. I have often thought about stopping them and telling them how happy it makes my heart to see. But that would be creepy......

This morning I walked out of my back door just as they were passing the driveway. "Good morning," I said. He waved back. And then God help me I didn't plan this--I ran across the grass towards them as I stammered, "Can I say something to you that may be kind of creepy?" (Just name it I say!) He looked a little hesitant but nodded. "I have been watching y'all for years walking by the house--not in a creepy stalker way," I rapidly said, "but just because I have that big picture window there you know. I don't sit by it and wait for..." (I stopped realizing I didn't have to be this transparent, and he might have looked a little nervous....)"Anyway," I continued, "It has truly made my heart happy and sometimes changed my mood--lightening it a little because it's just so wonderful to see. It has brought me great joy."

"Well," the man said, "We enjoy being together and it's always good to get a walk in." Of course I couldn't leave it at that, I had to continue. "I hope you'll keep walking together for many years. Our youngest is graduating next week. It's surreal."

"Wow," the man said, 'That must be weird. We'll keep walking as long as she wants me to or maybe even if she doesn't want me to. Life is too short, you know?"

Oh how I know...

"Anyway, thanks for saying something, I'm glad we could add to your happiness. And congratulations." he said as he began to walk. Maybe it was the sun, but both our eyes seemed to glisten with tears yet to fall.

As he walked away I really wanted to shout as Lisa always did, "Who loves ya' baby!??!?!" But that would be, well, too creepy, so instead I turned and  began to run, and I let the tears fall.

Be the creepy person; life is too short not to be, and it just might change someone's day.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you Katherine...my heart is still heavy after my stepmother's funeral. This a good reminder for me. Who loves ya baby??

Unknown said...

Beautiful, Katherine... I always love to read the glory and peace you find in the simple things. 'Tis such a grand and important reminder for each of us.

Unknown said...

Thank God for the loving, overflowing, beautiful creepy person! I think I get creepier that way every day! Thank you for the inspiration!