09 November, 2020

Godparents and Politics

We weren't perfect parents. We made lots of mistakes. We still make mistakes I don't have time to list them all...refer to my children if you have hours of time. But I will say one thing we did perfectly was choosing our children's Godparents. (and thankfully they said yes!)


The process, I'll admit, wasn't perfect. I have another close friend who was hurt she was never asked (we have since moved on with explanation and ultimately understanding). There were other people we could have chosen, but we chose the ones we chose, and I have never, not once, regretted any of the choices.


We had simple criteria.

  • We had to agree with one another 100%
  • They could not be family (of course they became family or were already family, but they couldn't be "traditional" family)
  • They had to be people of faith
  • They had to be a person we would want our children to turn to if they ever felt like they couldn't come to us, so we needed to trust them completely. We needed to trust their view of the world and their moral compass. 
  • They had to say yes.

Not only have all these people stepped up over and over and over throughout the years, but they have also brought their families into our family. We have continued to love each other, laugh with one another. They have prayed for us and for our children. They have witnessed their Godchildren soar, and they have seen them struggle, and they have NEVER stopped loving and praying for them. They have never given up on them or us. I am a better person because of all of them. Our children are better people. I would not change a single choice. I will love these people for the rest of my life. I trust them, and I know they are all people who care not only about our family but about all people. They are people I am proud to know, and I will NEVER say a false word against any of them for any reason. Now, wait for it.....

WE DID NOT ALL VOTE THE SAME IN THIS ELECTION! Please note, we did not consider political affiliation at all. (Refer back to simple criteria) And it's not because we didn't know...

This election did not change ONE ANSWER to any of the criteria we used to choose Godparents. This election and our choice of Godparents is a reminder to me that God is bigger than politics. God is in people and people are in politics, but the goodness of people--the divine image in each of us--that's where we connect and it is that connection we need to move forward. 

*Let me also note--not a one is misogynistic, homophobic, or racist. In fact, all strive to be a voice for the marginalized.

No comments: