08 April, 2021

Love Wins--Love Always Wins

I think love is the most overused and the most underused word in the world. Now that's quite the paradox. But isn't life one big paradox? Anyway...

“Love” is in the top 20 powerful advertising words. (I googled it.) Imagine how many times we hear it or see it each week if not each day. We throw the word around talking about butterflies, cars, clothes, food, drinks, and the list goes on. It reminds me of when Sarah Katherine was little and everyone she met became her “best friend” within minutes. “Mommy I can’t leave the playground. That girl is my best friend.” Me, “What’s her name?” Sarah Katherine, “I don’t know.” (Calling people your best friend is a whole other rant I may get on one day.) I wonder what the numbers would be if we all counted how many times we said or wrote “love” in any context every day?

Trust me. I’m not innocent. And I do try to tell people I love them. Except that’s not entirely true. I tell people I love them when talking to them or being with them gives me that warm fuzzy feeling. I tell people I love them when I’m deeply grateful for our relationship. I tell people I love them when I want to build them up, encourage them, support them, and yes, love them. But I don’t always say it. In fact, sometimes I deliberately don’t. I'm not proud of that, but it's the truth.

A couple of weeks ago I overheard a phone conversation one of my children was having with someone she didn’t want to be talking to. Their relationship is currently very strained. Well let me be completely honest, I thought, their relationship was butting up against the path of no return—completely broken. There is a great deal of hurt and anger. As she was hanging up the phone, I heard her say, “I love you.” (And then because I have really good hearing—Mama sonic ears--) I heard, “I love you, too.” Tears sprang to my eyes, and I was in awe. I had just witnessed the power of unconditional, holy love. Love that exists despite pain and brokenness, anger and hurt. Love is stronger than hate. Love that holds us gently and fiercely no matter how close to the brink we get. Love holds one another accountable but also says you are beloved because you are you. At that moment, I witnessed the love that embodies, “Can anything ever separate us from Christ’s love? Does it mean he no longer loves us if we have trouble or calamity, or are persecuted, or hungry, or destitute, or in danger, or threatened with death?” (Romans 8:35 NLT) At that moment, she truly was the body of Christ. She could be angry, hurt, and not want to engage, but none of that could separate her from what it means to love unconditionally--not loving because of warm fuzzies, unicorns, and rainbows. Loving because it's what we're called to do. 

The story isn’t over, and one day I hope I get to write about eavesdropping on the relationship's total reconciliation, forgiveness, and healing. I hope it’s soon, but it may not be. But I do know this: we don't always know what it will look like, but love wins. Love always wins.

No comments: