11 March, 2022

It's Not Either/Or

 I'm a privileged sometimes spoiled whiny brat. There I've said it so no one needs to add that to a comment or send me a private message--I mean you can, but just so you know I'll only respond with, "I know." Here goes anyway....

Today was a long day--long and productive for a reason. I scrubbed our bathroom floors, unpacked boxes, vacuumed, dusted, supervised moving furniture, laundry, and various other chores--including polishing silver and brass--silver in one of the tubs. Oh, and that was also while I was working on summer camp. I'll admit, I did enjoy it, but I was also doing it thinking about the bath I was going to take late this afternoon. 

Another few asides, I recognize there are some people who are creeped out by baths, but I love them. I was also going to use a Buff City bath bomb, which yes, does belong to my daughter, but I bought them, she won't use them at college, and I'm sure she'll be fine with me replacing them--plus I paid her tolls today...back to the story.

I chose a book, chose a bath bomb, got the towel to cover the window (a whole other story), and began to run the bathwater. I tried to pull up the little thing to stop up the drain--wouldn't move. Tried again, and again, and again, and again. It wouldn't budge. I headed downstairs in search of my hammer--the one from attempting to hang the flag pole. I hit it (up) over and over--still no move. I was so frustrated--called my husband who said, "You're using the hammer again?" Me, "I can use it on the drain or your head." (I can also be dramatic...)

I went downstairs, poured a beverage from my new friends, watched basketball, and fumed, I mean thought and perhaps felt a little guilty.

While thinking, fuming and pouting a good friend called. She is an only child who is caring for a chronically ill parent. She has a job, is married, and is an incredible friend to everyone. Over the past several weeks although she has been walking through hell, every single time we talk/text she always asks about me and my family and celebrates with us. We hung up; I stomped upstairs for a SHOWER!

As I stood under the hot water I thought about all the Facebook posts I've seen today, my semi-temper tantrum, my friend, and what I believe about God. Here it is....

  • I can be frustrated there always seems to be something wrong with this house, and have compassion for all those who have no homes. 
  • I can be over the moon excited my sister is coming to help me tomorrow, and feel sad for all those who have no family or are estranged from their families.
  • I can be filled with joy that today all of our children are in happy, healthy places, and have empathy for parents who have buried children, don't know where their children are, or know where they are and are estranged.
  • I can be grateful neither Chris nor I have buried a parent, and hold in my heart friends who no longer have their parents. 
  • I can worry about the war in Ukraine, and find joy in watching the boys here play soccer in the sunshine. 
  • and the list goes on....

If we read the Psalms, we hear ALL these emotions and more. And here's something else. I believe God rejoices when a baby is born enveloping the new parents in God's loving embrace and at the same time, those same arms can be wrapped around people saying goodbye to a loved one. We are created in the image of God. We can hold multiple emotions at the same time. It's not an either/or.

In the meantime, I'm going to wrap myself in a Hecht hug...