11 June, 2008

What's in a Name?

I suppose we all have special feelings about our names. My given name is from both my great grandmothers which endears it to me and makes my husband crazy everytime he has to fill out legal forms because I now have 4 names--he can never remember which two we put together since all forms only have space for first, middle, and last. Then we all have those nicknames picked up in childhood--we spend our adolescents cringing when our parents call us those in public, but I suppose one day when our parents are gone we will all long to hear them say it aloud just one more time. All my children (that's four of them) have special names bestowed on them practically from birth--Monkey Moo, Boss, Willie Wonka, and Carolina. Now, they have blessed me with my own special name--Madre. My eldest began calling me Madre several weeks ago and I have to admit, I love it. It's usually said with love and affection and typically in a playful way. Why am I thinking about it right now? Well first of all because I had to come up with a name to start this blog, but also because she's been gone for 6 days and although I hear her say it on the phone, I can't wait to see her smile, feel her arms around me, and hear her say, "Madre". What's in a name? If someone you love is saying it--everything.

3 comments:

christy said...

Madre...I love it and I love you!
Christy

Friend said...

I look forward to more posts like this and will be a regular visitor. It's true isn't it? We will let oursleves be called anything in love - and are pleased and privileged to be named.

tara said...

Thank God! I've been praying for you to start a blog. Can't wait to read more! Daniel called me "Mommy-O" for the month of April and has now moved on to "Mamma Mia."

With all my recent exploits in the NHS, I may have to join you in the blogspace for some good storytelling. Miss you more than you can imagine!
Tara