28 December, 2012

Hope for the Church


Yesterday I had the opportunity to have lunch with two remarkable young men (actually 3, but only 2 under the age of 21). My children have known these two young men for five years--admired them from afar and then gradually become closer and closer to them as they reached out as mentors and friends. As I left the restaurant I thought to myself, "I'm not sure we should all be so concerned about the future of the Church. My family alone has been touched by the teenage generation in many ways." These teens do not endlessly spout the Gospel although they know it. Rather, these teens live the Gospel day in and day out in everything they do.

In 2002 we moved to Pittsburgh PA where we knew no one--no family within 6 1/2 hours. The church became our family--the church and particularly some of the families in it--families with teens. Keep in mind, at this time my children were 2, 3, 5 and 6--if I was a teen I'd run in the opposite direction. Instead, I would often walk into the youth room at church where my children would be snuggled on the couch with various teens watching Veggie Tale movies. And if I needed a babysitter? I just walked into the youth room and asked. First hand up got the job. Let me introduce a few of these teens to you.

Holland Banse--graceful, poised, beautiful and kind. Holland was an outstanding student who danced with the Pittsburgh ballet. SK also danced with the ballet and thought Holland walked on water. Every time Holland saw SK at the studio, she made time to stop and talk to her regardless of whether she was surrounded by her friends. Holland was a beautiful dancer and at the end of a show where she had a major role, before accepting her congratulations from her many admirers, she took the time to have pictures with SK. SK felt loved and accepted and worthy--she called Holland her best friend. Love, acceptance, worthiness, grace--the Gospel

Lee Banse--quiet and unassuming but oh so patient. Several times he would unpack his hockey bag to let my boys try on his pads. Now that I'm a mother of those huge sports bags, I can better appreciate the time it took to unpack and repack those bags. But he did it, every time. Caring for the littlest--the Gospel.

Big Will--that's what we called him. His laughter and joy spread through our family like wildfire. When Caroline spent the night at his house (a whole other story), Will gave up his bed--sacrifice--the Gospel.

TJ Woodyard--TJ was the football star. One Maundy Thursday service he was serving as the crucifer at the service. It was dark and completely silent. As he passed our pew, he winked at William who loudly declared, "Look Mama TJ plays football and he's friends with God." The next fall, TJ's senior year, they beat their rivals. As he was celebrating with his teammates, he saw my five year old on the other side of the fence.  He reached over, picked him up, put him on his shoulders, and for a moment let him be part of the celebration. My son's favorite memory is when TJ picked him up from football practice. We tried to pay TJ for his time and gas. His response, "No ma'm that's what friends do for each other." Inclusion--the Gospel

Genna Woodyard--a loyal fun filled babysitter. One horrible night Caroline had to be rushed to the hospital with a dog bite. Genna showed up to care for the children so Chris could be with me. She kept the other children occupied and accepted no payment. We had been invited to TJ's graduation party but couldn't go because Caroline was hospitalized. My children were devastated. Genna promised them she'd save the shrimp platter and balloons for them--and she did. Charity and love--the Gospel.

Cissy Woodyard--Cissy traveled to the beach with us and spent hours doing whatever our children wanted to do.  Building sandcastles and introducing them to other sand models.  On the day of her middle school orientation, she chose to spend the day with our children at an amusement water park.  Self less love--the Gospel.

And now back to these two young men. John and Stuart MacLean--they are fun; they are quirky. They listen to everyone child or adult with complete and total attention. When they talk to you their eyes almost pierce through you. You truly feel like you are the most important person in the world at that very moment. They are interested in your life. They are phenomenal role models for my children. They have taught them the importance of being true to yourself, of being part of a family warts and all, of being faithful to your family, friends, and faith. I suspect they have an inkling that my boys idolize them, but they treat them as friends.

These are just a few of the youth who have touched our lives. I know there are so many others in the world.  I have listened endlessly to people complaining about the youth of today, the decline of the church, and there is some truth in all of that if we only want to view the youth and the church through the lens we've been using for 50 years. But these youth are moving on--they are showing me and showing others, that the Church is outside of the walls of a building. It is in a ballet studio, on a football field, in a hospital room, at camp, around a camp fire and anywhere they find themselves. The Gospel is alive; the Gospel is in action; I know. I've seen it in the youth of today

No comments: