24 August, 2014

A Letter of My Hopes and Dreams for You as You Enter College

Dear Monkey Moo, Boss, Willie Wonka, and Carolina,

This is my feeble attempt to pass on what I hope for ya'll both choosing and attending college.

When SK and I were looking at colleges, we were in C'ville and I woke up one morning and went for an early run.  As I was running through Grounds passing all the places I passed 25 years ago, tears kept springing to my eyes.  Happy tears--tears of joy as I remembered my years there. And it hit me--this is what I want for each of you.  I want you to choose and attend a college that 25 years after you graduate, you still love.  A place that will always have a part of your heart--a place you would choose again.  But remember as you choose, you can change your mind.  I didn't even apply to UVA in high school, transferred second year and it's like I never went anywhere else.  Admitting you were wrong in your choice the first time does not make you weak; it makes you strong--you don't have to settle for what is fine or will work--Daddy and I have worked hard so that you can have the BEST fit for you.  Ignore what "everyone" else is doing, what schools other think will be "perfect" for you--find your dream school and soar.

These will be some of the most amazing four years of your life (and yes, 4 years--that's all we've agreed to fund :) )  You will grow and change in ways you cannot even imagine; you will find things out about yourself that will be surprising, empowering, and possibly even unsettling.  Embrace it all.  While your in school, take courses that challenge you academically,the way you think, and your view of the world.  Take courses in areas you know interest you and also stretch and take some that you're not so certain about.  Take courses that challenge what you think you know, that offer another viewpoint, and that allow you to either solidify what you believe or bend and change.  Become passionate and idealistic.  Form your own theology, your own philosophy, your own political views, your own world view and then be willing to be challenged, to possibly change your mind, but to always be able to express your ideas and beliefs with compassion, courage, and confidence.

Join clubs and organizations.  Explore all the school has to offer.

Make friends--friends that are like you and friends that aren't.  Make friends who share your faith, your politics, and your world view, and make friends who don't.  Make friends that love who you are and that challenge you to be more.  Make friends that you will stay in touch with for years and years and ones that you will reconnect with years later and it will seem like no time has passed.  Make friends with people whom you may never see again but who will leave a lasting impact.

And through these exciting and life changing years, always know that Daddy and I love you, support you and believe in you.  Ya'll are the best things we have ever been a part of and we love you more every day.  We are proud of who you are and of who you are becoming.  Reach for the stars, go where the world calls you, and remember you always have a safe place to land.

These next four years, have fun; remember who you are and who you are called to be; and be true to yourself.

Love you to the moon and back and back and back and back and back,
Mama

No comments: