29 September, 2014

Gangan's Pajamas


Gangan's Bible that sits on my dressing table stool (which was also hers)
(You don't want to see a picture of me in the pajamas)
It was Tuesday night and the 4 days Chris had been gone already felt like 40 or 400 or--well you get the point; it had been one of the hardest weeks I've ever had with him traveling, (or maybe just one of the hardest weeks I've ever had) and I still had 4 days to go before team Chris/katherine was back together.  I was exhausted and getting ready for bed.  With worries and fears selfishly wrestling for prime rental space in my mind, I unobservantly reached into my drawer and pulled out Gangan's silk pajamas.  I pulled them on and lowered myself to the floor for my nightly push-ups  Mid-way down an image rushed into my mind.

I was 13 or 14 and I was spending the night at Gangan's apartment. I don't remember why I was the only grandchild spending the night there.  It was late evening and I went to ask Gangan for something.  I walked into her room and saw her in these very pajamas kneeling next to her bed, eyes closed, hands folded in deep prayer.  I tried to quietly back out so as not to interrupt Gangan's prayers.  She opened her eyes and said, "You can stay.  I'm just giving God all my worries and praying for all of you.  I'm almost done."

 I continued to lower myself to the floor and the tears began to flow--tears of heartache, distress mixed in with a sprinkle of tears of gratitude and one or two of hope.  I started my push-ups and began to hand God my worries and to pray for my family, friends, and the world.  As I finished the push-ups I gave thanks for Gangan and that I come from a long line of faith filled women.  Strong women of faith-- just plain strong women.  Gangan was in her mid 60's when she became a widow and lived for 30 more years--loving and praying (and we gave her plenty to pray about) for her family.  Living a life of joy and hope despite her circumstances.

I rose from the floor a little bit lighter and with more hope in my heart.  "I can do this," I thought, and one of my favorite verses flashed into my mind.  "Glory to God whose power, working in us, can do infinitely more than we can ask or imagine: Glory to him from generation to generation in the Church, and in Christ Jesus for ever and ever."Amen.    Ephesians 3:20,21

I believe in the communion of saints, so I know that while I'm the one wearing the pajamas, Gangan is on her knees continuing to pray for her, for my family.  And for that I give thanks.

I love and miss you everyday, Gangan.

No comments: