28 September, 2014

Miss Missey and Miss Suzette--Angels Among Us

Yesterday Boss asked me who I was texting.  "Miss Missey," I replied.  "Why have ya'll all of a sudden starting talking so much again?" he asked.  I took a deep breath before I answered so I wouldn't answer, "Because you and Knox are killing us." Instead I said, "We just need to be supportive of one another.  I miss her."  "Me too," he sadly said.

The McMillan's were among are first friends here in Louisville. Missey bravely introduced herself to the crazy lady with four children at the pool that first summer.  We had so much in common and we spent many  days by the pool laughing and sharing stories.  We have similar faiths, and we parent and live our lives from the same basic beliefs.  It was an easy relaxed friendship, and one I desperately needed.  Missey was my angel.    She introduced me to her friends and they became my "summer friends."  For two years Boss and Knox were in middle school together; (two years from which Barret may never recover); Wibbie and Caroline played on the same soccer and field hockey teams, and we got to spend more time together.  Chris and Andy got along great, and MS and SK had many similar friends.  But, unfortunately, as happens with busy households full of teenagers (them 3, us 4) all at different schools, it became much harder to see each other. Occasionally we would run into each other with promises of getting together soon...well you know how that goes.  But recently we have needed each other again--and this time that promise will happen--but back to Boss.

Our conversation continued or rather I should say jumped--we are the Doyle's of course--Boss,  "I wonder how Miss Suzette is?"  (Suzette and Missey have been friends for year and years and she and her three children became part of my summer friends group.) Me, "She's good but they're having a hard time right now. It's been a long year."  Boss set up straighter, "What's going on?" he asked with a worry in his voice.  I filled him in with the basics.  (Not my story to tell here)  Tears pooled into his eyes as he said, "I hate that.  They are some of the nicest people I know.  I really really miss them.  You know I got to spend lots of time at their house when Knox and I hung out all the time."  "I know," I said.  "No, Mama," Boss continued, "I don't know if you do.  I really miss them; they always welcomed me and loved me just because, not because of anything I did.  Or maybe even though there were things I did."  And he finished quietly saying, "I really miss them." as he got up and left the room.

Hebrews 13:2 says "Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by doing that some have entertained angels without knowing it." (NRSV) I believe that the Johnsons were and are the angels who have hosted my boy, showed him unconditional love, love full of grace and mercy and forgiveness.  God's love.

Sadly people pass through our lives and don't always know the impact they have.  People don't always know they are our angels at times we most need them.  I challenge everyone who reads this to reach out today and tell someone how they have touched you.  I'll start...

Thank you Missey for being and continuing to be my friend regardless of the time that passes with silence.  And thank you isn't near enough--but Miss Suzette, "Thank you for seeing the good in and for loving my boy, no questions asked."

No comments: