11 November, 2016

Giving Thanks for My Broken Foot

Today I give thanks for my broken foot (and yes if you're counting
this is the THIRD broken foot in four years--the third time I've broken my right foot.) It means no driving and humility--lessons I learned the hard way (The First and Second Broken Foot Stories).

It's inconvenient and it hurts, but today I am embracing it and giving thanks. Yesterday and today I have had early morning meetings at the babies school, so instead of waking Chris or Boss, I rode in with them. I have no idea why but I just decided to sit in the backseat.

As we rode through the streets with the sun just peeking over the horizons, it was like they forgot I was back there (except when we drove through Starbucks and they asked for my debit card....), and I got to be a voyeur into their lives, into their morning routine, and into their relationship.

I have always known they were close--(We Did Something Right), some people even mistake them for twins, but sitting in the back seat I thought, "It's like their best friends and not siblings." They bantered back and forth, they instantaneously grew silent when Battle of the Sexes came on the radio--something they clearly listen to everyday. They sang; they laughed; it warmed my heart.

As we got closer to the school I said, "Y'all can drop me off before the student parking lot." William asked, "Why would we do that?" Caroline chimed in, "Yeah why would we? You're going to the student parking lot." I hesitated; should I say, "because I figured you would be embarrassed to be seen getting out of the car with your mother? I know I would have been...."

William looked over his shoulder (causing me a moment of panic as he was also passing a car) and said, "Sorry you're just going to have to go with us" as though I would be the one embarrassed. We drove up, parked, and all got out of the car. Caroline petted my coat (seriously she calls it Bobby's (her dog) cousin) as she shouted, "Rachel look it's my mom. Mama look it's Rachel." And Rachel jumped out of her car waving frantically, "Hey Mrs. Doyle." "Hey Sweetheart," I called across the parking lot as I tried to scurry away still worried I would embarrass them.

They continued to greet their friends, but paused for a moment and said, "Bye Mama. See you later." And one stopped to kiss my cheek--I'll let you guess which...

As I walked away I thought, "Tomorrow I may not feel this way, but today I understand that I can indeed give thanks in all things and that God does work for the good in all circumstances." (paraphrased 1 Thessalonians 5:18; Romans 8:28) A promise I needed, especially this week, to remember.


No comments: