01 March, 2017

I'm Not Giving Up Facebook for Lent

This morning I woke up to multiple facebook posts announcing
people were giving up facebook for 
Lent. They reminded people to stay in touch by email or text (interesting I didn't see any that said by snail mail or phone calls) I'm not giving up facebook for Lent.

I do understand facebook can be a total time sucker; I do understand that particularly lately there has been (and probably will continue to be) some nastiness.  I do understand there are many people who overshare. (and I do understand I may be one of them...) I understand all that, and I considered giving it up for some of those very good reasons, but I'm not.

This Lent I am really focusing on relationship restoration and relationship building with God and others. God calls us to love God with our whole hearts and to love others as ourselves. Facebook allows me a glimpse (sometimes through cloudy windows or rose colored glasses) into the lives of others. Facebook allows me to rejoice with those who are celebrating and to mourn with those who are feeling down for any reason. Facebook allows me to respond to needs when I am able and to to pray for people when I am not (okay really I pray in addition to responding, but you get the point.)

And possibly most importantly facebook allows me the opportunity to practice my faith. I believe my love for God is shown most clearly through my love for others. Not the Hallmark mushy kind of love but the really hard getting down and dirty, wanting to walk away, wanting to disengage but staying put kind of love. Through others posts I get to practice seeking and serving Christ in all persons--those with whom I agree and those with whom I don't. I get to hear others' perspectives and consider how they are trying to live faith filled lives even if the way they do differs vastly from the way live mine. I get to practice proclaiming by the words I write on my own posts as well as the words I use when I respond to others the Good News of God in Christ. Facebook gives me a platform to strive for justice and peace among all. And facebook allows me to respect the dignity of every human being in how I respond or perhaps sometimes by not responding.

I do understand why people give facebook up for Lent, but I'm not. (my family would probably appreciate if I worked on the oversharing part....)

1 comment:

Maggie said...

This is very good stuff. And I'm one of those who gave up Facebook for Lent. The impetus for the FB fast was a word from our parish's interim rector (who has become a good friend - both literally and on Facebook -- in a short time) who looked me in the eye and said, "Matthew, perhaps you need to think about giving up Facebook for Lent." To which I wanted to say, "Shut the front door!" or "Talk to the (Facebook) hand!" I am working on being more present, although this has been quite hard, and I find myself trying to do "work-arounds."

I found your blog after hearing you on the Bob Valvano Lent Madness spot. Well done! I agree that Franz deserves to go deep into the bracket. And David Oakerhater.

Hope you and yours are doing well! Many blessings - Matthew