30 March, 2018

A Mother's Fury

Ok, here's the truth--I can write today even though I publicly said I couldn't--yep I lied, or as I like to justify it by saying, "I protected my emotions." Because I don't like what I'm about to write--to admit this about myself--and yet it won't let me rest....


This week I've been thinking a lot about Mary as I have been doing for the past few years especially during Holy Week. I've written about how I can identify with Mary on so many levels. But something happened this week which led my thoughts down a different path--a path of trying to understand her relationship with Peter...

Jesus met Peter and they became friends. At some point Mary must have met him and spent time with him. He was a bit feisty, probably full of personality. I wonder if Mary liked that? I did.

When Jesus began his ministry and  the stakes kept getting higher, I wonder if Mary blamed Peter and the other disciples for encouraging Jesus in his behavior? I did.

When Peter tried to walk on the water to get to Jesus I wonder if Mary was relieved there was someone who loved her son so much he would strive to do what seemed to be the impossible because he believed so strongly in him? I did.

When Peter asked Jesus to stay on the mountain, to let him build a shelter for him a place to stay safe, I wonder if Mary appreciated Peter's attempt to keep her son safe? I did.

When Peter took Jesus aside and rebuked him for the things he was saying and doing, risking their friendship, I wonder if Mary gave thanks for the courage Peter had? I did.

When Peter cut off the soldier's ear defending Jesus, I wonder if Mary was hopeful that Peter would help to rescue Jesus? I was.

When Peter denied Jesus, not once but three times, I wonder if Mary burned with rage and had to resist the urge to physically lash out at him, to want to retaliate, to want to make sure the world knew what a horrible person he was? I did.

When Jesus was resurrected and forgave Peter without getting a true apology, when he reconnected with Peter and elevated him, I wonder if Mary also extended grace and forgiveness. I haven't.
truth


TRUTH

1 comment:

Pupuk Terong Ungu said...

godbless you and your writing