17 July, 2008

Lessons from Childhood

There are some lessons from childhood that we should continue to hold and practice, but I'm beginning to think that some just cause problems for us as adults. We teach our children about taking turns--I must say it a hundred times a day "Take turns, alternate, you can't play if you don't take turns". What does that say to us as adults? Do we take that lesson too far? How many times have you thought to yourself, "I'm not writing/calling again, I'm the one who always calls/writes. It's his/her turn" What does that do? Why is it so important who makes the initial contact--isn't the conversation that continues from there, isn't the relationship that is strengthened more important? I have found myself saying over the past couple of days, "It's not my turn to have the whole extended family over--I've done it the past 3 or 4 times." If we all want to be together, does it matter where it is?

I know it's a lot of work for the person who feels they are always reaching out or always hosting or always doing whatever else it is, but I still wonder if we have taken this taking turns idea a step too far.

No comments: