27 August, 2008

sticks and stones

I was reading a devotional this morning that was based on the following scripture:
if you utter worthy, not worthless, words, you will be My spokesperson.”
Jeremiah 15:19 (NIV).
The devotional was good and it kept me thinking about words in general and my words in particular. The Bible has a lot to say about the power of words and their ability to hurt deeply and to heal. This verse in particular made me think about not what I should say, but rather what I shouldn't. I'm reminded that words are powerful and through worthy words we can be spokespeople for God, then doesn't it seem to follow that we should be very careful about what words leave our mouths? Sometimes the kindest words are the ones not spoken.

Remember the saying "sticks and stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me?" We repeated it over and over as children--for the record, it's not true. Words can and do hurt--I'm going to be careful how I use them.

No comments: