26 September, 2008

We're in This Together Until We're Not

Tuesday night I had an interview with the Commission on Ministry. The Bishop is supposed to call me and let me know if they have recommended me to go forward in training. He hasn't called yet--needless to say I jump at every ring of the phone.

Wednesday afternoon, my 11 year old tried out for the school basketball game. Basketball is his true love but he's never played on an organized team. He came home and was very nervous. The list was to be posted the next morning. Christopher tried to get to sleep, but he kept getting up. Around 10:45 he crawled into my bed, put his arm around me and said, "We're both having a hard time just waiting." True solidarity!

Wednesday morning we rushed to school where YIPPEE Christopher made the team. He rushed out to tell me, give me a high five (and even a hug in front of his friends). Then all afternoon, he talked on and on about it. Now I am a mother so you can imagine the pride I feel for my son. On the other hand, he seems to forgotten I am still waiting! This has me thinking--I certainly don't expect an 11 year old in all his excitement to stay focued on me, but I wonder how often we do this to other people in other situations and how alone and abandoned it might make someone feel?

When a company has announced they are going to do layoffs, the employees become close but if we are not let go, are we so relieved that we forget about those who were? That's just one example--how many more are out there? Solidarity in times of anxiety and turmoil is a good thing, and most people are happy for others good fortunes, but do we forget the ones left behind?

No comments: