25 May, 2015

Resurrection is Not a Hallmark Movie

Since writing Depression, Death and Resurrection, I have been
asked by a few people what resurrection looked like.  I had one friend say, "Oh, I hope you made up with those friends and it's all been a really happy ending--and y'all (okay she didn't say y'all...) are best friends today."  It didn't happen exactly like that.  That would have been wonderful of course, but if everything was just neatly tied up--if the boyfriend and I reconciled, if I finished school and lived in my hometown forever and ever, and if those friends were all in our wedding party, well, I suppose that would be more a Hallmark
movie and not resurrection.

So I'll answer the question to the best of my ability--I'll try to explain what resurrection looked like for me, in my life. First and foremost, it looked like getting out of bed on a daily basis.  Simple, but true.  Resurrection looked like a roommate who knew I was sad but didn't know how devastating and dark my world was so she just kept being my friend and acting like everything was normal.  (After my last post she apologized for not recognizing how bad it was; there was no need for the apology--her not recognizing was part of my resurrection.)

Resurrection came when I mustered the strength to go to lunch with a lifelong friend (she babysat me and then I babysat her children) where she introduced me to a woman who would become one of my best friends and Boss's godmother.  (Not to mention she introduced me to Chris....)  This woman welcomed me into her circle of friends and resurrection came as each and everyone of them welcomed me as well (The Melrose Place Dinner Club).

Resurrection came when that friend invited me over for drinks with my new group of friends.  I had just finished exams and was tired.  "Just come," she prodded.  "Well," I replied, "I'm not going to shower or get dressed up."  "That's fine." she said, "We just want you to come."  I didn't shower or get dressed up, but that night I met Chris and five months later we were engaged (shh, don't tell anyone, I like to say 6 months--it sounds more responsible.)

Resurrection came through Chris who patiently loved me as everyday I said, "We are not serious.  I am getting out of here as soon as I graduate."  After he proposed he said, "Now can we say we're serious? Oh, and will you please not move without me."

Resurrection came when I took my daddy's suggestion and went and met with The Rev. Donald Fishbourne, and I found the Episcopal Church.  Resurrection came when Chris and I were received into the Episcopal church 9 months before we were married.  Resurrection came as The Episcopal Church, the Anglican Community has become a part of our lives and has seen us through five states and two countries.

Resurrection came through my job as one of my dearest most faith filled friends walked through the door one hot July day and I hired her.  Resurrection came when she and her husband honored me by naming me their firstborn's Godmother (and they are responsible for William and Caroline--good luck with that y'all!!!)

Resurrection came when I finished graduate school with honors, found a job at the Medical College of Georgia that I loved and met mentors on whom I still rely on.

Resurrection came when Chris and I moved to Athens, started (quickly) our family and made the best of friends through the neighborhood and the Episcopal church.  And resurrection came through a group of older women at that church who mentored me, loved me and mothered me.

As to those friends--well I can't say we're best friends today; I can say I miss them; I can say I still
sometimes wonder about what happened all those years ago and how things could have been different, but I can also say that resurrection came through facebook and reconnecting that way. Facebook brought resurrection; facebook brought a place where I have been able to celebrate their lives and they mine.

Resurrection looked different than I prayed for it to look during those dark months.  But resurrection brought new life and resurrection brought hope.  That hope is so important to me right now as I watch others struggle because it is through my resurrection and through that hope that I can hold onto the belief that resurrection will happen no matter how grim it seems for them right now. I know resurrection will come.

Resurrection, not a Hallmark movie came.


1 comment:

Christy Harris said...

I will never forget sitting there at Sylvan...alone and newly married and just wanting to find a "job". In you walked - laughing loudly and talking about your upcoming wedding and all of the crazy surrounding the details!! I thought..."I love that girl!"...and over the next year you became my family. Thank you for hiring me that day and bringing me into your life. Those hours spent with you at Sylvan will always be precious to me....the letters you sent me to Germany...the love you covered me in as I moved around the world...the support and conversations as I struggled to put everything together...KKD...I can never love you enough. Your friendship has resurrected my heart too many times to count.