31 July, 2018

A Rainy Day at the Beach is...

Yesterday morning I woke to torrential rain. Already our house looked like it was on an island and the rain kept coming. Winnie sadly looked at me knowing as much as I love both her and the beach, I was NOT going to take her for a morning run. Instead I settled myself on the porch, with a book and coffee...

I knew in advance the forecast for this week--we start watching it the minute it becomes available, so I had already prepared myself for more rain than sun--not happily but it is what it is. Just being here is what my soul needs. I was thinking about this as I read these words from Dorthea Benton Frank's Isle of Palms, "For me to be content and happy, I had to be on this particular island. I mean, I couldn't breathe right anyplace else." (p.5) I had written almost these exact words--or at least their sentiment 9 years ago (A Journey Home) about this very place. As I sat on the porch my sister texted me, "I am so sorry the weather is like it is. I really wanted it to be nice for you." (Have I mentioned I have the greatest older sister? Always looking out for me. She would control the weather if she could--and remember she's older...a point I enjoy making.) I responded, "A rainy day at the beach is still a better day than anywhere else." And I mostly meant it, which is not to deny I was cursing in my mind those people who said to me before I left, "I'm going to pray it rains a lot so you'll come home." They know me well....

Old mother nature was really taunting me though. It would clear up; I'd begin making the move to get ready to head down to the beach, and the skies would open up and pour again. Finally around noon it looked like we might have a 30 minute spread, so Chris and I scurried down to the beach. We brought no cooler and put on very little sunscreen--you don't need much for 30 minutes.

As we sat by the water the dark clouds rolled in; it even got chilly, but the rain didn't come. The clouds rolled through and the skies turned blue. Three hours later we were thirsty and Chris was getting a tad burned (thank you Daddy for my dark skin), so he went up to the house for a bit and I took a walk.

As I sat back down I thought to myself, "God really knew I needed this day." Then in my I can't just say thank you but have to analyze everything way, I thought, "Okay do you really believe that with all the things going on in the world God stopped everything to make sure you had a good day at the beach? Do you really believe this day was only for you? How many other people got to enjoy the day? And what about those people who wanted it to rain? Do you really think you're more important than they are?"

I guess the real answer is yes and no. I do believe God loves me and only wants good for me; I don't believe God favors me and my needs over others; I do believe God has the power to change the weather; I don't believe God is a puppet master. I stopped myself when I thought, "How about just saying Thank you God for this day? How about just seeing it as a gift? Perhaps we could all see the grace and wonder of God around us if we just looked--if we just chose to see it." I picked my book up, took a sip of the beer my husband brought me, and silently said thank you to God for the gift of this day and all the gifts of my life.

(Today has started in much the same way--took Winnie running, saw God's promise of abundant love, and when it rained, I got wet.)






No comments: