11 August, 2018

Unsolicited Advice is Always Considered Criticism--Doing It Anyway

Not everyone is pictured, but everyone is in my heart
To "The Group,"

First I love you--each and every one of you. I have loved watching y'all grow and mature. I have loved watching you with each other. I have seen y'all have joyful, silly fun; I have seen y'all make mistakes--sometimes individually, sometimes as a group. I have watched y'all support each other as you follow your passions. I have watched y'all hold each other accountable. I have watched y'all celebrate each other's accomplishments and weep together with each other's disappointments. I have watched y'all become as Caroline says every time I ask her, with an eye roll, whose going to be there "The Group."

Some of y'all have known each other forever; some of y'all have come on the scene later. Some of y'all have always been friends; some of y'all didn't even like each other at times. But in the last year I have seen y'all come together and become something very special. I have watched y'all become "The Group."

Warning--here comes the advice...

You're all leaving for different places where you will meet new friends. Some of the first people you will meet will become life long friends, but some won't. It's okay; take your time; find your people. It's worth the wait--y'all are proof of that.

You're going to see lots of stuff on social media; it will look like everyone is having the time of their lives ALL the time. Here's the truth--it's a lie. Everyone will have times they are lonely, homesick, stressed, or just sad. Be honest with each other. Reach out to each other, love each other, be each other's safe place.

You're going to change a lot over the next four years. Sometimes it may feel like you no longer have anything in common with each other; sometimes it may feel some of you are closer than others; sometimes it may feel like you're being left behind; sometimes you may not like the direction someone is taking--it will hurt and it will be sad. Some of you will move back to Louisville, and some of you won't. But know this--just because there may be some times of distance in location or relationships, what y'all have is special and it will come back around. (I promise you this--I am fortunate enough to have had what you have. They are still "my people" even when months or years pass without seeing each other.)

Stretch yourselves--and remember what I always say, "Have fun. Remember who you are. Be true to yourselves."

And now your blessing from me The Reverend (yes I know that's what you call me behind my back...oh, and I love it)

Blessing
May the peace of the Lord Christ go with you,
wherever He may send you.
May He guide you through the wilderness,
protect you through the storm.
May He bring you home rejoicing
at the wonders He has shown you.
May He bring you home rejoicing
once again into our doors. 

The Doyle's door is always open and there will be MUCH rejoicing when you come back through it.

P.S. Learn to pick up after yourselves.  





No comments: