31 December, 2018

Labrador Puppies, Babies in Bathwater, and Dignity and Respect

Yesterday during my sermon I challenged the congregation to do something every day during the month of January. (A challenge adapted from a challenge David Lose gave in 2014). The challenge goes like this--each morning stand in front of a mirror with your eyes open (that's key--you have to actually look yourself in the eyes. I had to give that specific direction because I know there are people who won't--and I can name some of them) and say aloud, "I am a beloved child of God, worthy of dignity and respect, and God can use me to change the world." I warned the congregation it might not be easy.

This morning I stood in front of my mirror and repeated the words. (I know it's not January yet but
decided to get a jump start--call me an over eager Labrador puppy--my therapist does).

I said the words and felt uneasy but couldn't put my finger on it. I knew it had something to do with dignity and respect, something to do with being spoken to and treated with dignity and respect. I wasn't sad or mad--just pretty sure I don't always believe or act like I am worthy of dignity and respect even though it is one of my core beliefs--that every human being is worthy of dignity and respect no matter what.

As I was running a little later it hit me much harder than the wedding rings bouncing around my neck. I believe I am worthy of dignity and respect but I am willing to put that aside if

  • it gets in the way of me helping someone
  • it means letting someone down
  • someone doesn't like something I say or something I do
  • and God forbid if someone doesn't like me and I know it
Any of the above happens and poof I throw out my belief that I am worthy of dignity and respect like throwing a baby out with the bath water.

I've got my work cut out for me. I don't want to change who I am--I like helping others, being available to others. But oddly, I am excited for the work ahead. I suspect there will be times it's painful, times it's amusing, and times it's infuriating. 

But I'm ready--bring on 2019!

(and join me on this challenge--what does God reveal to you as you stand in front of the mirror and repeat these words?)

No comments: