14 October, 2019

Trust Me Preacher Lady

I love Laundry Love--and it's not because I love doing laundry and holding babies--both of which I love to and get to do when I'm there. No, it's because of the people, the people who minister to me every time. And if I'm totally honest, one in particular--Darren.

I met Darren 3 years ago. Boss had just arrived home from Montana. He went with me and also met Darren. But he didn't stay. It was a hard time for him and he just didn't want to be around people very much or for very long. We had planned to go to dinner afterwards, instead Darren ran across the street to his apartment and brought me some of his homemade bbque. "I know you'd rather go eat with your son," Darren told me, "but this is pretty good too. And trust me Preacher Lady, your boy is going to be alright."


Spring 2017 I was back at Laundry Love. Darren shows up. I begin helping him fold his clothes. "How's your boy?" he asks. I think I might have teared up a little bit. "He's having a hard time right now," I responded. "Trust me Preacher Lady," Darren said as he nudged me, "Your boy is going to be alright." (Thanks to that comment I didn't ball up and destroy the SEVEN Florida Gator t-shirts I was helping him to fold.)

Darren and I have seen each other at least 1/2 dozen times since then. Every time we talk football smack and EVERY TIME he asks about "my boy." EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

That may not seem like a big deal to some, but it was and is HUGE for me. Some of my closest "friends" stopped asking about Boss a long time ago--others stopped talking to me--others spend enormous amounts of time and energy trying to avoid me. But not Darren. Darren asks. Darren cares. Darren doesn’t judge. Darren just has faith. Darren just loves.

Last Thursday I was at Laundry Love and no Darren. I had a great time but was disappointed. Have no fear! Seven forty five (we end at 8) in walks Darren. We hugged each other as he said, "I don't have any laundry tonight, but I was looking out my window and saw you so had to run over here. How's your boy?" I know my smile could have lit up the laundromat if the power went out. "He's great!" I told him. "Living back here in Louisville and working. I get to see him and he calls or texts me every morning. He's awesome." Darren just smiled, gave me a wink and said, "See I told you to trust me. I knew he was going to be alright; I never doubted it from the day I met him. Just got to have a little faith." Then he gave me a big hug and said, "And here you're the Preacher Lady."

Darren walked me to my car as we closed up ("No one's going to mess with you if I'm around," he
told me.) He hugged me again, opened my door and I slid in with a heart exploding with love for this man and his faith.

Then, Darren knocked on the window. I rolled it down. "Go Gators!" he yelled.

Well mostly love....

No comments: