25 November, 2023

There Has to Be a Line, Maybe?


I remember, or I think I remember, my mother telling me years ago--in my memory we are in the car driving down Ragley Hall Rd away from the house, don't know where we're going--but I remember Mother saying, "If I compliment y'all too much you'll get big heads and be conceited."

See here's the thing about memories--they may or may not be accurate. The words may or may not be exact. The intent of the words may or may not be understood. But, the impact of memories, even with their inaccuracies, live on in our bodies.

Fast forward to the everyone gets a trophy and everyone gets to be star student generation. Is there a point when compliments become meaningless? I think there is.

I also wonder, is there a difference between a compliment and just saying something nice, something positive, something kind?

I keep thinking there has to be a line. There has to be a line between being complimented by someone so infrequently even the smallest of compliments stand out and are remembered and being complimented by someone so often it's meaningless and their all forgotten.

I know it's so much more complicated--their are personalities, histories, and expectations. 

I do think there is a line somewhere--just not sure it needs to be or should be the proverbial line in the sand. And I think about Jesus writing in the sand. (John 8:1011) He didn't draw a line, but he did write something. And more importantly, he taught us a lesson about judging. He taught us no one is without sin and the importance of compassion and forgiveness. 

See here's the thing. I want Jesus to have also said something about taking responsibility, admitting responsibility, and even begging for forgiveness. I want Jesus to draw that line, and I want to tell him where it needs to be. 

Jesus doesn't draw lines, if anything Jesus draws a circle, a circle around the whole world, and we're all on the inside. 

No comments: