22 October, 2014

Standing on Holy Ground


It was my first wedding I had ever officiated alone (shhh I don't think Luke and Sarah knew that).  I wasn't nervous--I was surprised I wasn't,,  but I realize I wasn't nervous because I believed deep into my heart and soul that these two people were meant to be married and that I was simply a conduit to help make that happen.  God had already blessed their union; God was very present in their individual lives and in their relationship--God, Sarah and Luke were the principal players; I was simply an extra.

It was an intimate gathering--family only.  We hiked into the woods to a clearing where the service was to be.  A small patch of moss was there and as Sarah and Luke stepped onto it, chills ran down my spine and a warmth took over my body.  There was no question; this was holy ground.



With the family gathered around, Sarah and Luke made their vows to one another and to God.  As I pronounced them husband and wife, the sun broke through the branches and a ray of light shone on the newly married couple.  There was no mistake; God was truly and completely present.  God blessed this marriage.

Sarah and Luke had decided they wanted Eucharist.  Not only did they want to have Eucharist, but they wanted to provide the bread and wine.  Eucharist means thanksgiving, and Sarah and Luke wanted to give the gifts in thanksgiving to God for bringing them together and as a gift of thanksgiving to those who had gathered to witness this day.

We hadn't rehearsed the wedding and suddenly as we were exchanging the peace I realized we had no table to use as an altar.  Oddly I didn't panic.  I walked over to the flower girls and whispered I had a very important job for them to do for their Uncle and new Aunt who they clearly loved very much.  These two beautiful girls held the bread and wine as I recited the Eucharistic Prayer.  Their mother, Luke and Sarah's sister-in-law stepped forward to hold my book for me.  As I invoked the Holy Spirit
Invoking the Holy Spirit
I have never been more certain of the power of the Eucharist and the real presence of Christ in the bread and wine.  The girls and I, not trained lay Eucharistic ministers, but two girls who loved their family, joined me as servants of God and we distributed the bread and wine to all those gathered.  I blessed the marriage and we hiked back out.






 I was transformed that day in many ways.  Chris and
 I have always told the children they had to be married in a church--it was non negotiable if we were going to pay for it.  Hypocritically  I often profess that the church is not a building but the people.  That day the hypocrisy evaporated and that profession became more powerful than it ever had before.  The church was gathered; God was present.  Scripture tells us "For where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there among them." (NRSV, Matthew 18:20)  It does not tell us that is only in certain buildings behind certain altars using certain vessels.  Hypocrisy gone--our children can get married where ever they choose; God will be there.

Marriage is a sacrament--an outward and visible sign of an inward and spiritual grace.  The Book of Common Prayer tells us that, "It signifies to us the mystery of the union between Christ and his Church, and Holy Scripture commends it to be honored among all people."  I have no doubt Sarah and Luke's will continue to be an outward and visible sign for the world.  It will continue to model what the Kingdom of God can and does look like.  Their marriage will transform them and all who they encounter.  It already has.

 I haven't been able to let go of the power of the gathering and I am struck by the idea that we intentionally or not put boundaries and boxes around where God is and where God isn't.  We declare specific places sacred and holy and forget that God created everything and that alone makes all of creation sacred and holy.  What would happen if we treated the world--all of creation including people as if they were sacred and holy?  How would the world be changed?  How would we be changed?  On October 5, 2014 I was changed and for that I give thanks.



4 comments:

Shawn Hackett said...

Thank you for sharing! I also enjoy your writings.

Sarah said...

Mother Katherine, I'm completely honored by this beautiful post (and I know Luke will be too). Aside from the intangible beauty in the marriage process that you describe here, YOU were the best part of our wedding, and we feel so blessed that you were a part of it. You took command of the word of God and demanded a reverence for this covenant that we've actively worked towards over the past three years. That was exactly what we wanted and needed. Yes, that land is very holy to us. It's where we fell in love, where we got engaged, and where we grew as a couple and individuals in our faith. We not only feel the love, but the reverence of God every time we are there. We feel so blessed to have you in our lives, thank you.

David Herbert said...

Great post and experience. Is this an accepted/common way for weddings to be conducted? How does it sit with the legalities of marriage? Just interested - we're still in church buildings, protecting our brand.

Just Katherine--Patron Saint of Hot Messes said...

David,
Not necessarily common but weddings can be conducted this way. Legally you can get married anywhere and by just about anyone (in fact there are people who get licensed online which is a whole different issue). As you read this day changed me. I still also love weddings in churches but this opened for me the expansiveness of the presence of God. Miss you and your lovely bride!