21 October, 2014

Why I Write

When the children were little, I used to tell them stories of when they were even littler.  Then as life went along we had so many things happen to our family that people would often say, "You should write a book, but no one would believe it was real." The children would hear those comments and they joined the chorus of "you should write a book."  So I told them I would someday.  Lesson--do not tell children under the age of 8 that you will do something one day unless you want to be asked EVERY day if today is the day.

Anyway, I started keeping a list of incidents that could perhaps go into a book.  One of the things I love about our family is that we can make even the most serious things humorous.  I was gifted with children who roll with things and make life an adventure of fun even during those times we could drown in despair.  (Like the time Caroline was in the hospital with a dog bite, they wanted to see how high they could raise the bed and then lift the head and fee to see if they could fold her in.  Yes maintenance had to be called.  Or when SK broke her arm and Boss decided to pull the fire alarm at the orthopedist office--yep everyone evacuated into the rain...And just so it doesn't sound like they are always the culprits--the time I forgot to pay the water bill; we went to the beach for 10 days and came home to no water (on a Saturday)  So Chris and I loaded them back into the car and told them we were going on a destination unknown adventure.  We drove to Atlanta, stayed in a hotel with an indoor pool, and explored Fernbank.  And so began the tradition of Doyle's Destination Unknown Adventures.)  And they kept asking about the book....

When blogging began I had a brilliant idea--or so I thought.  I really knew they just wanted to see they're name in print; I knew I would forget all these adventures if I didn't record them better, and thus  Growing Up Doyle was birthed.

When I was called into ministry in August of 1997 (God was very patient with timing) I really felt that my calling was to help people find the Holy in the ordinary.  I have always journal ed and I started writing on the computer which led me to consider adding it to my blog.  The trouble was the subjects overlap but there is a definite difference in tone.  SK began calling me Madre; I decided to write a different kind of blog; and the first entry back in 2008 was written---What's in a Name?  Over the years I have blogged sometimes regularly, sometimes not so much, but it has become part of my life--part of my spiritual and my "ordinary every day" life.

There are times I feel insecure and arrogant.  Posting them on facebook took courage--hard to believe I'm sure.  But I felt like who was I that anyone would care about what I wrote?  Who would criticize what I wrote?  Who would think I thought I was holier than thou?  I resisted, but eventually I did it--that still small voice commanded it.  I'm glad I did.  I have been so gifted from so many people.  People have entered or reentered my life and shared their stories with me--stories of joy, of pain, of broken hearts, and of reconciliation.  Some people I know in "real" life and some I only know in the virtual world, but all have touched me and honored me with allowing me to be one of the keepers of their stories.  I hold them all in prayer and give thanks for the blessings they have bestowed upon me.

And so I continue to write--for me and for anyone whose life may be touched, for anyone who may need a place to know they aren't alone.  I'm still worried I'll be considered arrogant; I'm still insecure about what I have to offer, despite all that, I'll continue to write.

No comments: