02 May, 2015

An Ordinary Day Full of Lucky Grace

Monday I had to drop my car at Collegiate for Boss to have after
school.  (Okay I didn't have to, but his truck was in the shop and he asked nicely; plus I didn't want to have to go pick them up--so OVER carpool lines.  Emmanuel folks, remember when I was the parking lot natzi? I have happily retired from that role.) Anyway, it was a beautiful day and I didn't mind walking home (11976 steps in case you're wondering).  As I was walking and listening to Anne Lamott's book Small Victories (I highly recommend it), I thought about how lucky I was to be able to take this time and just walk home enjoying the beautiful spring day no matter how long it took; I had the time (seems I have nothing but time)--and I thought about how lucky I was to get so many steps and perhaps take the fitbit lead...

"Lucky" that wasn't a word I have previously used during this time of what I refer to as "my time of transition."  If I'm honest, I was totally shocked that word came into my mind.  This time of transition is getting longer and my anxiety is mounting (just ask my therapist).  But that was how I felt and that was the word that kept invading my mind, so I decided to embrace it and make it my word for the week.  Tuesday it sort of worked, Wednesday it sort of worked--those two days I experienced moments of "lucky grace" as I decided to call it.  And then Thursday came--Thursday, lucky grace flooded my world.

The morning started early--PA meeting where I was "elected" president for the next two years.  (No one else wanted it and I blame Hope who expertly played my soon to be empty nest Mama emotional heart.  Thank you Hope; I owe you!)  Regardless of how it happened or whether there was competition, I was so happy and felt extremely lucky--lucky that I am able to serve Collegiate for the next two years (three if you count the year of past president service) and that I get to be around with my three as they finish high school.  (And even luckier because they like when I'm around, they like when I show up at school--shhh, don't tell anyone, it will ruin their images) I hung out at Collegiate for the morning talking to other parents and staff (I love Mrs. Page and Mrs. Bilderback--), watched the 54th annual Kindergarten Derby and then headed to lunch.

Lunch with five fantastic, wonderful, inspiring women who meet every month and have graciously begun including me.  Maybe to some it is just lunch but for me it was lucky grace lunch.  They love me; they love my family, and they expect nothing, demand nothing, just let me be me.  (And to top it off we got moved up on the Mother's Day brunch list--)  The only down side was I had to leave early to meet the air conditioner repair man...

As I drove home I realized how very tired I was (I'm living these days as lucky grace but apparently my subconscious is still a bit anxious--I wake up every 30 minutes throughout the night!)  I'm still considering it lucky grace--I can lie down on the couch while the man works on the system.  (I think I may have freaked him out when I said, "I'm going to lie down on the couch if I fall asleep just wake me up when you're finished.")

Off to Miralea to officiate their evening service.  I love being there.  They are so welcoming--I love hearing stories of the past, and I love they share their lives so openly with me.  I left with a huge smile on my face.  Off to table talk with inspiring women and then finished the day watching my boy beat KCD in his final lacrosse game.

It really was an ordinary day--but all day I felt so lucky to be living this ordinary day, to be a part of so many different things and to have the freedom to be available.  It was an ordinary day--nothing major, no philosophical or moral insights (Jim Moyer I'll be looking for some), a boring day to read about, but a day of complete happiness, a day I could embrace as a gift--an ordinary day full of lucky grace.


No comments: