03 June, 2019

Community, Liturgy and Slapping the Pier

For thirty two years.....


For 32 years I have run down the beach...

For 32 years I have run down the beach and slapped the pier...

For at least 21 years I have run down the beach, used it as a time of prayer, and slapped the pier....

For 10 years I have run down the beach, used it as a time of prayer, listened to Barbara Brown Taylor's An Altar in the World, and slapped the pier.....

Not this year.... and it sucks (sorry I'm using the word I probably hate most in the world), and I've been thinking about it ever since that day in March when I was told I had to have a total knee replacement immediately and he recommends I never run again.

The reality is here--I'm at the beach barely able to walk (just got rid of the cane Friday), and yes it does that word I've already said once and don't want to say again. I'm really really sad and frustrated and angry--all the things my therapist tell me equals situational depression.

Last week a dear and wise friend (who I don't have to pay--but trust me B is worth every penny), Bob Valvano wrote these words.

-->
Let me offer some tips on interacting with people who battle depression.
Even if it's not "clinical" depression...just someone who is obviously burdened by something in his or her life.
Don't say, "Smile! C'mon it's not so bad..."
When you do that it's actually an insult of sorts.
The listener thinks "Not only do I feel badly, but evidently I'm stupid too, since I can't see what appears so obvious to you."
When you say. "Hey you shouldn't be so sad. Look at all the great things in your life."
That often doesn't help, because INTELLECTUALLY, the listener probably knows they have a lot of good things. They may openly feel and often express how blessed they are.
It STILL doesn't stop them from feeling down...overwhelmed...helpless...
In fact, that too is hurtful because it implies the listener isn't grateful. In fact, they could probably tell you ALL the things they know they are blessed with.
It doesn't matter at that moment.
If you remind the person fighting this feeling, "Hey you've got it a lot better than many other people " you'd probably be reminded it's not a competition.


As I've been sitting on the beach each morning watching the dogs, who by the way are very confused about us not running--more on that later, I keep thinking about these words and all the things people have told me.

And yes I get it. It could be worse. At least I can still walk. There are other forms of exercise. This too shall pass. There are other people who are grieving far worse things than not being able to run again. I have a beautiful beach house (thank you Daddy and Marguerite) where I can go to recover. Yes, I get it and I remind myself of all these things every day. Bob's right--it doesn't matter at this moment. (And I'm sorry to anyone that offends)

There is something though....

Last week I was having dinner with a friend who has been to our home many times. She looked at me lovingly and said, "I know it's going to be hard not being able to slap the pier this summer." Nothing else--just acknowledgement, just understanding, just love. 

The next day I received a text from another very good and wise friend again about the sadness I must feel getting ready to go to the beach and not being able to slap the pier. She went even further--"maybe you can come up with some sort of ritual or something to say good bye."

I sat on the beach this morning watching people I've passed for years passing me. One stopped and said, "Not running this year?" I told her about what happened. I told her I'd just have to sit this year. She responded, "Sitting is good. Sitting is good for the soul. Sitting is simple and powerful. See you tomorrow."

I'm still sad, but I know I'm not alone. There is a community who sees me and loves me. Community--that's important.

I also know I have to find a ritual to say goodbye (other than just buying a new towel and new tervis although those help)to what was and embrace what is to come. That's liturgy. THAT feeds my soul. 

I just need to know--can I still title the book I plan to write one day Running with Pearls?











I named Bob because he made his words public. The other friends didn't, but everyone needs to hear their wise and loving words. Thank you Jamie and Jennifer.

3 comments:

Judy Gradl said...

Yes, you can still title your book, "Running with Pearls". Though you may not be able to physically run anymore, your spirit, your essence, is to run. Bob V. expressed it much better than I can, but I'll try to explain personally how situational depression affected me. during my pregnancy 35 years ago with my first- born. I heard read about "baby blues". The literature at the time explained about how hormonal changes can lead to a week or two of feeling sad, but if you felt like killing your baby because you were feeling overwhelmed, that you should seek professional help. I was somewhere in between. Internally, I was constantly raking myself over the coals because although I loved my baby girl as much as humanly possible, I felt inadequate to the task of being a mother. I lacked all the "prerequisites" for post-partum depression - my labor was typical, she nursed easily, she wasn't a fussy baby, I had a perfectly healthy pretty baby. All this and I was still sad. I know that you know how fortunate you are to have support and excellent medical care, but that still doesn't preclude you from feeling depressed. You do have a loss that needs to be grieved. In your situation, you've lost some mobility and the freedom to literally take off running whenever you feel like it. It's okay to grieve. You'll recover in your own time, in your own way.

Andrea Stoeckel said...

You can too. BTW, walking on the beach, barefoot or in rubber socks, is supposed to be excellent exercise. Until they make snow tires for walkers, I can’t even do that....hmmm, wonder if anyone’s tried to do chains for walker wheels?

You are blessed Katherine. At least people ask.

I had to retire too early from the ministry because of neurological issues. I was exhibiting symptoms of Early Onset ALZ...In some ways, I wish it was. I lost my ability to stand in a pulpit, I can’t project enough to sing anymore, which I mourn almost more than the preaching. However, one of the saddest things? My home church doesn’t quite know what to do with me. I’m one of 14 retired pastors on the rolls. I haven’t been in the building in close to three years now, and I’ve only been visited since the interim hit the ground running in the last 9 months. I don’t drive anymore and the bus schedule is very cut back on weekends. And, yes, I am depressed. Minimal meds keep me from staying in bed 24/7. I read...I read and review 200+ books a year, have for 5+ years now.

So, my local church thinks I’m fine...just not active...and that itself is depressing.

You are blessed Katherine...someone sees you

Marybeth Edgecomb said...

Love, love, love. I have, at various times, been sick or injured or homebound ... the longest was when I couldn't drive for 7 months because I was having episodes where I would get dizzy and sometimes pass out for no reason. For that time, I had to rely most days on friends and neighbors to go to the grocery store, take my kids to school, pick them up, do almost everything. I was depressed. It was hard. I woke up every day scared that I would have another "episode" and the six-month clock would have to start over. So don't deny where you are. Don't deny your feelings. You have suffered a loss. Own it. Grieve it.

Love you...

Marybeth