17 March, 2020

#wecandohardthings #bossgoals

So yeah, I have had a goal that was only semi-public--until now. I posted a little about it in vague fashion using hashtags such as #bossgoals #funrunfriends #icandohardthings and #runningwithegc --the last when a very dear friend who has been a part of my journey joined me in training (virtually).

Some time ago my son started his journey of addiction and recovery. When I joined his journey, I told him if he could stay sober for a year I would run a marathon. (That was pre-total knee replacement.)

The truth is I wanted to run a marathon, and I needed an incentive. He didn't. He didn't like to run, and he never really responded to my challenge (which is another lesson learned--getting into recovery is not about someone else and what that person considers incentive, an important consideration, but I digress from my particular point). Fast forward and I'll say it in a nutshell--I had total knee replacement; I believed I would never run again: I started running again but it was very slow going; Boss started running; Boss started liking to run; we started talking about running--we agreed to run the Derby Half Marathon together at the end of April.

That was five weeks ago. At that point I had not even completed running a mile. I dug in and started training. There were days I really didn't think I would be able to continue training, and I was discouraged. I had to remind myself this was a mini marathon and not a sprint. People reached out to me and offered encouragement--people who didn't even know this story and why I was doing what I was doing. They just knew I was trying to reach a goal. It didn't matter what they knew or didn't know. How they responded, that's what mattered. Just like there have been people who have reached out and supported Boss on his journey that is a marathon and not a sprint. Last Friday I ran (with a few walks thrown in) 7 miles, and people celebrated with me. Today Boss celebrates an anniversary.

Today is also St. Patrick's Day. Today the world is living through unprecedented times brought on by a pandemic. Today I know the half marathon won't happen in April--it's been cancelled. Today I've had to rethink what that goal looks like. Today I have been sad and angry I won't get to run on April 25--or rather I won't get to run in the actual race--I mean I already had the instagram post planned in my head of Boss and I crossing the finish line (or him waiting for me to cross the finish line) with big smiles and a great big hug. And today, just a few minutes ago, all those things converged.

It's St. Patrick's Day--how many times have you heard or read, "Luck of the Irish?" Well I can tell you this--training to run a half marathon in a short time and more importantly living a life of recovery takes anything but luck. It takes hard work; it takes sacrifice; it takes commitment; and it takes a community of support.

Right now many of us are dealing with many disappointments and hardships resulting from this coronavirus pandemic. Events and schools and churches and businesses are closing. We are socially distancing. Anxiety rises and falls with no warning. This is all SO. FREAKING. HARD--just like training for a mini marathon less than a year after knee replacement or being in recovery. We don't know what we're doing from day to day or what we will be thinking or feeling. I believe it's okay to name and honor those things we have lost or are having to delay and the feelings we have around them. I believe we are going to be required to do really hard things and there will be times we feel defeated and discouraged. But I also believe we can do it. I believe we can come together to sacrifice, to challenge, to support, to encourage, and to love. I believe each day we will get better, we will be better and the way we respond and love each other will outlive this virus. I believe Boss and I will run a half marathon someday. We're still training.

But here's the other truth--there are people who will struggle more than others, who will face more hardships, more challenges, and that is a hard reality I don't want to face. I don't have an answer but I have to face it. And I what I can do is this. I can promise to love and respect and value others. I can promise I will treat others fairly and compassionately and recognize I don't know their story and that's okay--that's not important--THEY are important.

I believe there is nothing--not a virus, not addiction, not a challenge, there is absolutely nothing that can separate us from the love of God. I believe we won't get through because of luck, but rather because of God's love, mercy and forgiveness for us, because of our commitment, hard work, support of others, and lots and lots of love shared. Love shared all around--love for God, love for ourselves and love for others.

#wecandohardthings
#postedwithpermission




3 comments:

Navhelowife said...

Sending you such love. You are amazing. And I can't wait till I'm in the same state as you!!! Anne

Susan Breeding said...

Love to you and all your family. My friends from 30 years ago in a church in another city will bury their oldest grandchild this week because of an overdose. I am SO glad your son's journey is moving in a good direction because my friends are in so much pain. Prayers for your son's ongoing healing journey and for all who are hurting, healing, or deciding to begin their healing journey.

Katherine said...

Boy did I need to read this today. Proud of both you and Boss. Can’t wait to see the pics of the finish line when you both get to run that race.