04 August, 2020

My Friend Sue

I can't believe these women believed in me
I will never forget the day I met her....

Thirty minutes earlier I was told by the rector of Calvary Episcopal Church that I was to be Calvary's liaison to the Central Louisville Community Center Board. I was excited as it's a ministry I felt deeply committed to.* I was a little surprised as I was leaving the office for my first board meeting and several people said, "Good Luck." Apparently, long board meetings were common.

I got there early and walked into the board room where two women sat. Little did I know these two women would be a huge part of changing my ministry, my focus, and my life. Sharon Eckler stood up, "Hello, I'm Sharon the Executive Director." I shook her hand and then said, "Hey. I'm Katherine the Associate Rector of Calvary." She smiled. Meanwhile, the other woman stood up and walked over. "Hello Katherine," she said, "I'm Sue Speed and I know exactly who you are." EEEEKKK!

She may have known who I was, but little did she know she had unleashed my greatest fear--someone would know something about me that would prove I was a fraud. (Okay, just relax this was back in 2012 and I have done MUCH work since then.) But that day....

We sat around the board table for over three hours--they weren't wrong. It was a long board meeting, and I LOVED IT!!! I loved the passion, the compassion, the determination, the commitment, and I fell in love with Sue.

When I returned to Calvary someone said, "Don't worry, you don't have to go to all of them." I couldn't imagine missing one.

Over the next 2 1/2 years I got deeper and deeper involved in the ministry. I spent hours talking to Sharon and Sue and hearing their stories. One afternoon Sue said, "Remember how I said I knew you?" Oh boy, she had no idea how well I remembered that. "Well," she said, "My brother John and my daughter Whit told me all about you. I've held off my decision, but they're right. You're the real deal." I sat there stunned. Not because she was so bold, but because I was overwhelmed that two people I truly respect and admire said that about me. Sue responded, "Don't sit there like that. It doesn't mean you still don't have work to do." And she winked at me.

One afternoon Sharon, the Executive Director, summoned me to her office. (And yes I do mean summoned--that is how much I respect this woman.) I walked across the parking lot, up the stairs, and entered her office. She wasn't alone. Nope--there sat Sue Speed. You know what it feels like to go to the Principal's office? Well, I do and that's exactly how I felt. They were ingratiatingly nice. I'm not really sure who started the conversation or how it went but the bottom line was, "We want you to be the next chair of the CLCM board." I could say nothing. I knew I didn't have the skills to do the job. I had no non-profit or business experience. My husband lovingly would say, "If you know more than anyone in the room about finances, it's not good." (Seriously no hate on him--he's right and I've proved it over and over) Then Sue said, "Remember when I said I knew who you were?." I nodded. "What I knew," she continued "was that you have a fire in your belly for injustice and for making things right. Sharon suggested this to me and I'm full-on supportive." Who says no to Sue Speed? That was in 2014--and here I still am.

I'm proud of what we have all done together. On the day we held our first fundraising event ever--a walk through Central Park, Sue met my husband. "So you're Katherine's husband. You're pretty lucky." she said and he nodded, she continued, "But sometimes she's a real pain in the ass." And he nodded. Then she hugged me and I knew I belonged to her.

I also had the honor of her recommending me to the board of Family Health Centers (I love this board!) where I also still serve always knowing she is the reason I am where I am serving on the boards I am because an incredible woman believed in me.

The day Sue died I said to her daughter, "Not only was Sue an incredible woman. She made other women incredible." I strive to be one of those women. I love you Sue. I miss you already. I am better because of you. Thank you. Thank you for sharing your passion, your spirit, thank you for helping me grow into my ministry and for making sure I knew I wasn't a fraud. Oh, and by the way, I was a pain in your ass, and you were a pain in mine--because I just wanted to make you proud.


This is Sue. She's incredible. Read more about her here




*Central Louisville Community Ministries, formerly Help Ministries of Central Louisville, is one of the oldest community ministries in the city of Louisville. It was created in 1968 by ministers in the downtown area who wanted to respond in a structured way to the requests for help that came to churches. CLCM strives to give direct and personal assistance to residents of the central Louisville community who are in need; to provide a place where residents feel welcome and can receive referrals and short term emergency assistance; to advocate on behalf of clients for the improvement of the quality of assistance from providers of public and private services; to create and implement programs that build a sense of community among clients, churches, businesses, and the public and private social sectors; and to provide opportunities to fulfill their urban missions by combining their resources, both financial and human.

No comments: