01 April, 2015

Colonel--A Gift from God

It was definitely the beginning of a terrible week--you know the kind of week when you are on your therapist couch starting your session with, "Let me be clear, I am not suicidal but I just want to disappear." (Having been a therapist I'm well aware of the key words that can send a therapist to the phone dialing 911).  Anyway, it was the way my week started and by Wednesday it didn't seem to be getting better.

I had a board meeting for Central Louisville Community Ministries--a board I love serving, a ministry about which I am passionate, and made up of board members I have grown to love. Surprisingly I didn't want to go, but I put on my big girl panties and a smile and headed downtown.  I walked into the library and was greeted by a precious puppy.  "Who's is he?" I think I shrieked like a preteen girl at a boy band concert.  "He can be yours." Linette said in a joking manner, "I found him at a gas station this morning.  He'd been there 3 days and I think he was abandoned.  I have to find a home for him."  I have no idea what came over me, we have two dogs, but I took his picture and sent it to the children, "Should I bring him home?" All responded "YES!" (Boss did say, "I don't think Daddy is going to like this." Did I mention Chris was out of town?)  I think I conducted the board meeting okay, but my mind was elsewhere--I kept being drawn to the puppy--I needed this puppy.

After the meeting I offered to take him outside.  As I was walking him around the parking lot I ran into a man I had served in my previous position, "Preacher Lady," he said (I'll admit it, I LOVE the group of men who call me Preacher Lady and I really love the title) "Who's dog is that?" "I'm trying to decide if my husband will divorce me if I bring him home.  He was abandoned." I answered. "Preacher Lady, you have to take him home.  You have to help him like you helped me."  And that sealed the deal.

As Linette was getting his stuff out of her office, she told me how she'd been having a grumpy morning and this puppy changed her day.  He's been a gift from God.  I knew how she felt.

I took him home and we all immediately fell head over heels in love with him.  He was incredibly sweet and loving.  After a flurry of texts between the children they agreed to name him Ralphie.  For the first time in days I felt light, happy, and hopeful.  He followed me everywhere but he especially loved Caroline.  He slept in her room and if her door was closed he laid outside of it until she came
out or I let him in.

I took him to the vet silently praying he wasn't chipped (he wasn't).  I looked at Craig's list and in the paper to see if anyone was looking for him.  The vet assured me she thought he was abandoned and had been for some time--he was slightly emaciated.  She estimated he was 5 or 6 months old.  

Chris got home and reality set in.  "We simply cannot have four teenagers and three dogs."  I knew he was right but my heart didn't.  "Can we keep him until I find him a good home?" (I didn't define what I considered a "good home."  I'm sneaky like that!)  "Yes," but he has to go, "Or we can get rid of Bobby."  (Bobby is Caroline's dog and definitely not Chris' favorite.)

I texted my sister-in-law who had been considering getting a dog.  She was out of town but said she'd
bring the boys over when she got home and maybe she'd take him if he was good with them.  (I knew he would be--he was so gentle with the toddler.  He even let her boss him around--kind of like Boss--that girl wraps people around her finger....)

That weekend my sister called.  Sanders, her dog of 13 1/2 years was dying and she was incredibly sad.  She was home alone with him for the weekend.  She took him to the vet and they told her it was time--she set the appointment, went home and cried.  "I don't know why I'm asking you this and I haven't even asked Bob, but can I please have the dog you found?"  (We Kanto girls have this habit of not asking our husbands...)  I told her I had already offered him to my sister in law but if she decided no he was hers.

I texted Jenn and told her if they didn't want him I had a second option and I told her the story.  She responded, "I think it's clear; he needs to go there."  (Have a I mentioned I have the most loving, compassionate, wonderful sister-in-laws in the world?  I hit the sister-in-law jackpot!) It was settled and the Sherrills began fighting over names--their story but they settled on Colonel in honor of Sanders who had been named for Colonel Sanders.

My children, however, were not happy.  Boss, "How much more work can it be for you to have another dog?"  Well he did get it right who would be doing the work--but I knew in my heart we had to let him go, and I knew that the joy he brought me he would bring to them.  We made a plan for me to drive him to Charlotte a couple of weeks later.

Later that week Caroline was sent home from school with concussion symptoms.  She was miserable and lonely--Ralphie/Colonel remained by her side.  I really began believing he was and is a gift from God--he was right where he needed to be for all these people who needed to feel unconditional love, who needed to be uplifted, who needed hope.


I drove him to Charlotte--they were in love.  I got to watch my beautiful athletic niece play lacrosse which I loved--they lost, which I hated.  She was so upset-- Colonel loved her through it.  He now sleeps with her. It may sound corny but I see Colonel as a connection between cousins.  And y'all know how I feel about cousins.  (A Letter to Gangan After Cousin's WeekendCousin's Weekend--Where Wearing Lipstick and Mascara at the Same Time Means You're OverdressedCousin's of the Heart--to name a few!)


Last night at dinner we were telling Bob about the vet visit--(the vet had also fallen in love with him and offered to take him home) he's closer to 8 months which means puppy chewing stage is over; he's springer spaniel/australian shepherd mix which means no shedding; he's mostly housebroken.  Bob, "I just can't believe how lucky we are with this dog--it's like it is..." "A gift from God," Meredith interrupted.

I'm sitting here alone in their kitchen Colonel curled up at my feet.  I'll be leaving in a couple of hours--leaving without Colonel.  I have to admit, I'm glad no one is home.  I'm pretty sure I'll shed a few tears. He brought comfort and love to me when I needed it; he brought comfort and love to Linette when she needed it; he brought comfort and love to Caroline when she needed it; and now he is bringing love and comfort to my sister's family right now when they need it most and for years to come; I truly believe he is a gift from God.  I'll shed a few tears, my heart will hurt a bit, and I'll give thanks to God for the gift of Colonel--a gift I needed.  I'll also give thanks for the gift God has given to my sister and her family.  And then I'll drive away leaving Colonel to love them for me knowing he is right where he needs to be.  He's home--Colonel is home.


No comments: