01 December, 2019

I Lost Part of Me This Year

Yesterday driving home in the dark, cold, rain from an incredible Thanksgiving weekend, I leaned my head against the window and thought, "I've lost a lot this year. But what I haven't allowed myself to think about is, I've lost part of me." 

I wasn't sure what that thought was totally about, but I knew it was true. I am different today than I was a year ago; this year has changed me; this year has taken a part of me, and I can feel it deep in my bones.

Throughout the night as I woke up during a fitful sleep, the words, but more the truth of it, continued to taunt me. I am still trying to make it make total sense, but this I know.

I am not the same. There is more quiet in my heart and my mind--an introspective quiet. I want to be alone more than I ever have before. I crave solitude. I often can't find the words to express what I want to say, and I have lost some of the energy of trying to figure it out. I ache for quiet. I don't immediately find the positive in every situation, and I have lost the ardor to do so. I allow darkness to permeate for longer periods of time before I move forward. And I feel more deeply than I ever have before, and that is often painful. I would more often than not consider myself in a state of melancholy.

Last year at this time I thought I had the world by the tail. I believed all four of my children were in healthy places and were on the straight and arrow path towards adulthood. I was entering my fourth year as priest-in-charge/rector of St. Thomas and my fifth year as coordinator of youth and young adult ministries for the Diocese of Kentucky, and I believed I knew exactly what God was calling me to do and be. Chris and I were enjoying empty nest; I had just officiated at the wedding of a young couple, and I felt that powerful love in our marriage.  My extended family all seemed to be doing well, and our relationships were solid. I had amazing friends and believed this would be the year I would reconnect with many.

Last year on Advent 1 I was full of giggles and excitement. I thought I understood and was fully embracing the theme of the day. As the first candle, the candle of hope was lit by a sweet family with a small child,  I beamed and my heart was full to bursting.

Then 2019 came.

I've talked to many people about this year. I'll be honest, I have yet to talk to anyone for whom this was the best year. If you're out there, I'd love to hear it. Really I would. It just doesn't hold true for me or for most people I know.

Now a whole year later, I am looking back at the person I was then, and I know part of that person is gone, and I'm almost 100% certain it's a permanent loss.

Some may not notice. I am still pretty out there; I am still loud and "extra"; I still say and do outrageous things. But I am less sure of what the "right" things to say and do are; I am less confident I know how to relate to people. (Just an aside, I am confident and even recently for the first time in probably forever able to verbalize what I know I do well. He was as surprised as I was to hear me do it!) But I am less confident I can handle anything. But this I do know.

I can show up.

I can show up in hospital rooms and funeral homes. I can show up in rehab centers and in the woods. I can show up in phone calls and texts and letters. I can show up in grieving homes and in homes full of joy. I can show up when I am full of energy, and I can show up when doing so takes every ounce of strength I have. I can show up for old friends and new friends and people I can't categorize. I can show up for myself. I can show up even if I have nothing to say.

This morning as a family with grown children lit the candle of hope, I felt tears in my eyes threatening to coarse down my face. This year I lost part of who I was, but I am filled with hope. It is not the hope I thought I understood last year. It is not optimism or exuberance. It is a hope that strengthens me to stay connected to myself, others and God. It is a hope that says through the darkness of the world, there is light. It is a hope that has walked with me through the valley of the shadow of death, and it is a hope that knows to my very core that God was and is there. It is a quiet hope that envelopes me because I know I can't fix everything; I can't stop pain; I don't have the right words; I don't know what is to come, but I can show up.




2 comments:

Rev. Nancy said...

I don't know the particulars of what you lost, but I can tell it has affected and changed you deeply. I'm sorry. You are in my prayers.
Blessings,
Nancy

Dani Veenstra said...

Katherine, Thank you for putting into words what many of us have experienced. My emotions are always just under the surface, I find myself tearing up in worship more times than I can admit to anyone else. Loss brings fear and anxiety, but also light - perhaps at the end of a very long tunnel, but none the less light is there. We carry it within us, and sometimes we are ok enough to let it leak out a bit. Again, thank you for your brave and touching words.